• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown BOP Oil Tank Seal

Confused

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'21 Sidewinder LTX SE
'24 MXZ 850 Turbo R Comp
'23 MXZ Blizzard 850 ETEC
'24 MXZ Neo+ 600
'88 SnoScoot
Up in Cable WI for the weekend. Temp was ~5F. Fired up sled to warm up in the trailer. Temp was up to ~150. Heard what sounded like a semi releasing it brakes. Looked outside and didn't see anything. Went back to sled and see oil pouring all over the trailer deck. Turned it off right away. No oil light on the display so appears to not run out. Pulled the side panel off - broke the front side panel tab FML! Looks like it pushed the BOP seal out on the muffler side. BOP seal was installed properly, 1 month ago, and 300 miles. At the same time I installed the BOP oil tank bypass kit. I think I will be going back to the sealant.

NOT knocking BOP products! I think he makes great stuff for our sleds. Unfortunately in this case it didn't work out for me.

If the seal pushed out you had excess pressure in tank. If it was old and dry and was leaking that would be different but in this case od be pretty confident to say it was pressure related.

If the seal pushed out you had excess pressure in tank. If it was old and dry and was leaking that would be different but in this case od be pretty confident to say it was pressure related.

Exactly what happened. Vent and/or ROV is frozen.

Just do the roll over valve delete like most of us had done with a 5/8 oil resistant hose going out bottom of sled cut at a 45 degree angle.

I’ve been very against this but thinking I’ll go this route next week when I fix it.

Exactly what happened. Vent and/or ROV is frozen.
Curious if the leak stopped once pressure was released. During testing 2 years ago I forced a leak on my gasket. Once pressure was released the leak stopped and the gasket is still on the sled to date and has not leaked. Maybe clean it up and inspect. You may not have to replace it.

If pressure built enough to leak past gasket, it most certainly would have blown out the RTV. The gasket typically withstands more pressure. With a heated rollover valve, bypass and gasket I think its safe to say you just were not meant to be out on the trail with the sidewinder! Ha. If sled temp was 150 degrees that sled was running more than enough for heater to thaw the rollover valve. Was there still pressure in the tank when you shut it down? Something seems off...

I think I will be going back to the sealant.
You think the sealant would of done anything better here? No way.

Did you leave the key on before starting for the ROV to heat up?

As Travis said, the gasket is probably reusable. Which is what I prefer when your stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
I’ve been very against this but thinking I’ll go this route next week when I fix it.
The bypass has thousands of miles from lots of guys on here.. Not sure why anyone is against it? Obviously if your a mountain guy and roll your sled over frequently, its not a good idea.. I had a very slight incident with my 2017 about 3 years ago.. I was cruising down the trail and a group(6 sleds-- RENTALS!!) of greenhorns literally stopped in the MIDDLE of the trail so I slowed down no issue.. I waited and waited .. Enough.. I went to pass and they started to move again and I got nervous and went left off the trail at like 5 MPH.. It wasn't even really off the trail in a sense.. But anyway I went on my right side at like under 5MPH, just a slow like tip in powder soft snow.. Hit kill switch got off and put back on the track and restarted and no issue with anything at all no codes nothing. I scratched/tore my registration sticker and ordered a replacement. I was embarrassed, but I had the bypass and its a example of something that could happen.. Now running fast and rolling the sled its probably totaled anyway so I figure the very slight risk is well worth it.. Compared to ruining a trip with oil blown out? Does the bypass have a very slight risk yes, but its minimal IMO and well worth it..

Last edited:
You think the sealant would of done anything better here? No way.

Did you leave the key on before starting for the ROV to heat up?

As Travis said, the gasket is probably reusable. Which is what I prefer when your stuck in the middle of nowhere.
ROV freezing is NOT the issue it’s the line to the roll over valve and in this case the little line on the oil bypass kit as well.

Curious if the leak stopped once pressure was released. During testing 2 years ago I forced a leak on my gasket. Once pressure was released the leak stopped and the gasket is still on the sled to date and has not leaked. Maybe clean it up and inspect. You may not have to replace it.

If pressure built enough to leak past gasket, it most certainly would have blown out the RTV. The gasket typically withstands more pressure. With a heated rollover valve, bypass and gasket I think its safe to say you just were not meant to be out on the trail with the sidewinder! Ha. If sled temp was 150 degrees that sled was running more than enough for heater to thaw the rollover valve. Was there still pressure in the tank when you shut it down? Something seems off...
The leak did not stop after I shut it off. When I pulled the side cover and looked, it appears the gasket pushed out. I'll get some pictures before I pull it apart. No doubt the pressure built up would have pushed the RTV out too, but the question is why? Would it be safe to say the oil tank to valve cover line was frozen too? It is very odd that the temp was up to 150 and had been running for 4-5 min before this happened. It wasn't a slow leak, it was pouring out.

ROV freezing is NOT the issue it’s the line to the roll over valve and in this case the little line on the oil bypass kit as well.
So what do you do to fix that? Remove the ROV?

The bypass has thousands of miles from lots of guys on here.. Not sure why anyone is against it? Obviously if your a mountain guy and roll your sled over frequently, its not a good idea.. I had a very slight incident with my 2017 about 3 years ago.. I was cruising down the trail and a group(6 sleds-- RENTALS!!) of greenhorns literally stopped in the MIDDLE of the trail so I slowed down no issue.. I waited and waited .. Enough.. I went to pass and they started to move again and I got nervous and went left off the trail at like 5 MPH.. It wasn't even really off the trail in a sense.. But anyway I went on my right side at like under 5MPH, just a slow like tip in powder soft snow.. Hit kill switch got off and put back on the track and restarted and no issue with anything at all no codes nothing. I scratched/tore my registration sticker and ordered a replacement. I was embarrassed, but I had the bypass and its a example of something that could happen.. Now running fast and rolling the sled its probably totaled anyway so I figure the very slight risk is well worth it.. Compared to ruining a trip with oil blown out? Does the bypass have a very slight risk yes, but its minimal IMO and well worth it..

I guess I just didn't want it dripping oil on the ground or in my trailer. Now that I have a huge oil slick in my trailer, that doesn't matter lol

Back