• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown BOP Oil Tank Seal

I remember the comments on this site to change out the muffler bolts as soon as you get a new sled..now I read the exact opposite. I never had the muffler bolts changed and haven't had the dealers say anything about having an issue getting ing them out...am I misreading past posts ?
There was lots of mis conception years ago , heck sone were machining there secondary rather than reseating there stub shaft bearing

Get rid of the regular bolts and put the originals back in
resurrected old post, yes, I've gone back to stock.

I remember the comments on this site to change out the muffler bolts as soon as you get a new sled..now I read the exact opposite. I never had the muffler bolts changed and haven't had the dealers say anything about having an issue getting ing them out...am I misreading past posts ?
I changed out my muffler bolts to stainless hex head bolts with nord lock washer Tomcat sells them on his website. McMaster carr also has them. The hex head bolts are easer to remove that the stock especially on the backside of the muffler flange where space is limited Cat sells a special tool to get the stock bolts out. This is the reason guys were replacing them. Also not a bad idea to remove them once a year chase the threads with a tap and and apply high temp nickel anti seize to the bolt threads and re assemble. Some we’re having difficulty getting the bolts out if they had been in there for a long time without being disassembled Good time to do this during the annual chaincase inspection.

I changed out my muffler bolts to stainless hex head bolts with nord lock washer Tomcat sells them on his website. McMaster carr also has them. The hex head bolts are easer to remove that the stock especially on the backside of the muffler flange where space is limited Cat sells a special tool to get the stock bolts out. This is the reason guys were replacing them. Also not a bad idea to remove them once a year chase the threads with a tap and and apply high temp nickel anti seize to the bolt threads and re assemble. Some we’re having difficulty getting the bolts out if they had been in there for a long time without being disassembled Good time to do this during the annual chaincase inspection.
The stock bolts are stainless.
I understand changing the middle rear as it is difficult to get on.
Personally, I really like torx headed bolts.
Almost impossible to strip.

Last edited:
Yes, stock bolts are the best. And don’t run a tap into the turbo threaded holes if you don’t have to. It just takes material out you don’t have too.

No need to even install a bolt into the middle backside hole.

Yes, stock bolts are the best. And don’t run a tap into the turbo threaded holes if you don’t have to. It just takes material out you don’t have too.

Mike, Funny thing is when I bought my Hurricane PM from Dave he sent me a small bolt and nut to use on the middle inside with the head on the inside and nut for the outside. I also used TomCats bolts and I never had any issues with the muffler coming loose. I also agree about running the tap. I did it at the beginning, but did not do it after that. Just applied high temp never seize.

I did the stainless nordlock bolts Tomcat sells. They have a smaller hex head with a flange so there easy to get in and out. Haven't came loose yet been taking them off once a year when I service the sled. I chase the threads in the turbo housing each time and use the nickel anti seize

Same here

I don’t mind supporting guys like Tommcat, keeps them in business.
Overpriced.
Yes I spend lots on these go fast money pits also!.. I had one experience with him and it didn't go well. NEVER get any of my money.. All good as plenty of other shops that are great also.

Overpriced.
Yes I spend lots on these go fast money pits also!.. I had one experience with him and it didn't go well. NEVER get any of my money.. All good as plenty of other shops that are great also.
What’s not overpriced on these sleds?

no need for the bolt and nut on the hurricane trail exhaust middle back hole also? won't leak?

It will leak if u don’t install that bolt.

Back