• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carbides catching on ramp when unloading

ViperSkier

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SRViper M-TX 162
I have a 2016 SRViper MT-X. When unloading on a ramp, the back of the carbide is catching. I had this issue when using a 7' trifold ramp to unload from my truck bed, and now have the same issue with my new-to-me Marlon sled deck. When the ski flexes under load, the back of the carbide separates from the ski enough to expose a point that is prone to catching. For now I've solved the ramp problem with a piece of slotted 2" HDPE pipe around the top of the ramp. I haven't seen any discussion of this problem elsewhere, but I was wondering if there's something wrong with my ski and/or if there's a fix to the snowmobile (rather than the ramp) because this could catch on all sorts of things in reverse.

Attachments

• IMG_7917.jpeg
    IMG_7917.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 39

Buy ski boots for loading and unloading.

I have a 2016 SRViper MT-X. When unloading on a ramp, the back of the carbide is catching. I had this issue when using a 7' trifold ramp to unload from my truck bed, and now have the same issue with my new-to-me Marlon sled deck. When the ski flexes under load, the back of the carbide separates from the ski enough to expose a point that is prone to catching. For now I've solved the ramp problem with a piece of slotted 2" HDPE pipe around the top of the ramp. I haven't seen any discussion of this problem elsewhere, but I was wondering if there's something wrong with my ski and/or if there's a fix to the snowmobile (rather than the ramp) because this could catch on all sorts of things in reverse.
Try different carbides

Make sure the nuts are fully tight so there's no movement of the carbide

I have not had any issues. Have you seen issues with these? With slim jims or trackers?
No, still use dollies and was considering an alternative but was curious how a ski with two carbides (ie. Simmons Flex ski) and not just one down the center and was curious.

No, still use dollies and was considering an alternative but was curious how a ski with two carbides (ie. Simmons Flex ski) and not just one down the center and was curious.
Well I have not used mine much this year.. Looking like this season is over to me..

I agree with GR8BBQ, make sure the nuts are fully tightened. The carbides are not supposed to protrude like that.

If that doesn't fix it, maybe take an angle grinder to it or replace them.

The nuts looked tight to my eye (no gap between the flange of the nut and the plastic of the ski) but indeed they were loose by a couple turns. I can't believe I missed that easy fix. Hopefully that solves the problem, and I was hoping to report back whether or not it resolved the issue, but I have no idea because this winter is miserable and I haven't been back out on the sled.

Back