• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Tension Details

race24x

TY 4 Stroke Master
Website
www.r-scomputer.com
Hi sorry I know there are a hundred threads and I did already look in the owners manual, but I just wanted some additional details. I used to just tighten the chains on my old sleds and the chain tensioner got difficult to turn then go back 1/2 turn. It seems like my Sidewinder the bolt gets a bit snug but I can still turn it with my fingers, but it is hard to turn. I can turn it like this for about another turn maybe a turn and a half. SO my question is do I turn it in as far as I can with my fingers even though it is difficult? Or do I turn it in until I start to feel more pressure and loosen it 1 turn from there. I guess what I am asking is there a spring or something? It feels like it tightens up, but then I can turn it more.

There is a spring and that spring tension is all they want doing the tensioning majority of time so be safe and go finger tight,clean bolt with the rubber pushed back,tips of fingers then back it off 1 turn since many of us have had good results with 1. Spec says 1.5 but we have seen wear from chain whip at that spec.

Thank you that helps. Tips of fingers like when the bolt starts to turn harder, but I can still turn it with my big sausage finger.... dont LOL. Turn it in until it seats and then turn it back 1 turn.
Yes just the tips that keeps it safe.

I've always set my tension with the chain case open. Finger tight is too vague. If I did my finger tight it was always too tight even after 1.5 turn out. I set with 2-3 mm of deflection on the left side of the chain. Still hate this chain case though.

for those of you with enough OCD to worry about a spec on chain tension, for a reference point, on average "two finger" tightness is around 100 Newtons of force. So depending on how big your sausages are and how much grip you can get on the bolt, your probably averaging between 90 and 110 Newtons of force.
I personally can get a pretty good grip. I turn the bolt in until it stops or tight, then 1 1/2 turns out. I've checked this tension both at the beginning and end of season, no problem no adjustment needed. Of course this is after the chain has stretched and is broken in.

I agree the finger tight then back off is kind of vague as everybody has a different definition and finger strength. Perhaps a better measurement would be how far should a person be able to turn the driven clutch before the track moves?Absolutely no play? 1/2 inch? 1 inch? Thoughts?

Back