• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

chaincase grinding in reverse

ryax85

Hi guys, after taking the chaincase apart the case makes a grinding noise only when in reverse. The track does go in reverse, but the case is making a horrible noise. I remembered the little spring between the small gears, and the washer on the outside etc. The tensioner is also good. Any clues?!?

Thanks!

It need an adjustment. I find it to be very finicky. I let my dealer do last time it was in for service. I am sure someone here will have the procedure for you.....good luck

I had a similar problem last year after I had my chaincase apart. It could be as simple as your reverse linkage adjustment. Mine would grind in reverse and if I got on the throttle going forward it would grind and not hook up. Eventually(after much headache) :o| I found when I had put everything back together, there was two washers that I got mixed up with slightly different thicknesses. One goes on each shaft. Next time I have it apart I will put everything on a wire or rope in the order it came off to keep track of it. If you had all the parts out, that is where I would start if it is not your linkage. Good luck!

Cool I'll check out the washers n look for the procedure. In drive I can run the track at 80.mph and its flawless. I felt a little binding when I hand turn it in reverse.

Had the same issue my first time out with my new to me sled. After some troubleshooting, a buddy noticed it was related to the linkage. Adjusted it, and its been fine since.

If my gears grinding real bad a few times, should I worry about filings in my chaincase? I probably grinded it 10-15 times while troubleshooting and trying to figure out what the hell happened.

From the manual

Attachments

• REVERSE ADJUSTMENT 2.jpg
    REVERSE ADJUSTMENT 2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,988
  • REVERSE ADJUSTMENT 1.jpg
    REVERSE ADJUSTMENT 1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 2,055
HunterSmitty said:
If my gears grinding real bad a few times, should I worry about filings in my chaincase? I probably grinded it 10-15 times while troubleshooting and trying to figure out what the hell happened.

If you are worried, get a small rare earth magnet and attach it to the end of the dipstick until the next time you change the fluid.

vader2185 said:
I had a similar problem last year after I had my chaincase apart. It could be as simple as your reverse linkage adjustment. Mine would grind in reverse and if I got on the throttle going forward it would grind and not hook up. Eventually(after much headache) :o| I found when I had put everything back together, there was two washers that I got mixed up with slightly different thicknesses. One goes on each shaft. Next time I have it apart I will put everything on a wire or rope in the order it came off to keep track of it. If you had all the parts out, that is where I would start if it is not your linkage. Good luck!

which ones?
TRACK_DRIVE_2.png

As i remember it only fit in one place?
Made a mistake tearing down this time and all is blended :s

Back