• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase removal and inspection

The wear is easily measurable. Is it enough to cause a failure? I don't know that and there is no evidence such as nicked teeth. It never ground the gears. I did have a reverse servo failure which was covered under warranty. Yamaha will get the old gear and we will see what they say as far as covering it. I am not chancing it. New gear is going in.

Thanks for the compliments guys but all of you have helped me many times so not necessary. That's what makes this site great. We are a team. Friends.
image.jpg
image.jpg

OK so this is the upper main gear correct? And there is counter rotation in this bushing only when in reverse?

Trying to get a handle on what is wearing the bushing. Lack of lube seems to be one likely issue. Is it lack of distribution, retention, or both?

I have a 22T upper that I plan to install at first service. I also have some bearings that will be going out for coating application and could easily send this gear to be coated.

It almost looks like you could press that bushing out and put in a new one if you didn't want to replace the entire gear every time.

It almost looks like you could press that bushing out and put in a new one if you didn't want to replace the entire gear every time.

You can with some if the aftermarket gears. I don't know about the stockers.

I'm still a bit puzzled why the bearing is wearing out when it only spins while in Reverse?

Looks like it could use some sort of a lube channel to let some lube get in. That or a needle bearing.

An oil with some "climb" to it might help.

TD this gear spins all the time but only has power transferred through it in forward. It's the main top gear. I bet a DLC coating would work real well here.

In normal operation (forward) doesn't it turn same speed and direction as the shaft that it rides on? Then in reverse the shaft spins and the gear disengages?

Or am I understanding this wrong?

I was thinking more of a moly dry film lube. I think DLC is something more for a solid steel piece like a wrist pin, but I may be wrong.

Took mine apart last night and the to gear is loose, but only a little more than the new 22 tooth I bought awhile ago.

Old gear measures 1.0057 and my new 22 tooth gear I never used yet measures 1.0031

Amsoil synthetic gearcase oil and 1/2 turn out from tight while warm. No reverse issues

Back