• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chaincase wear

upei93

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper X-TX LE MPI turbo
2009 Nytro XTX
680C430D-4472-4E12-A35D-91E26A361718.jpeg
Anybody ever see this? Should I be concerned?

View attachment 132096 Anybody ever see this? Should I be concerned?
That from the chain opposite roller? Are you tensioning the chain correctly? More is not better. Finger tight. Two fingers then back off 1.5 turns. Do it with cover off so you can check chain opposite roller to be sure there is not enough slack for chain to hit anywhere. Just push in on chain as hard as you can on side without tensioner. Now you got me worried but I don't believe I ever saw that.

I only noticed the wear after I removed the chains and gears so not sure where wear came from...I’ll know better when I put everything back togeather...I’m the second owner of sled so maybe chain tension was not correct at some point...I followed above tension when I bought machine.

Mine is showing the same wear, not sure if it's from chain being over or under tightened, I went with finger tight then 1.5 turns back out.
Would have to be from under tightened. Maybe its machine clearance there from factory. Sure doesn't look like it though. Crap. Nother thing to watch. Will be tensioning mine with cover off from now on for sure at least at springtime overhaul. You guys ever see aluminum floating in chaincase oil?

Ya I did find that my oil would turn greyish/ black but I thought it was from not getting all the fluid out using suction method. I honestly thought that in my case it was factory shaved when I opened it up in the spring, but after seeing upei93 picture I looked through my pictures and noticed his Has chain marks, my picture is from a distance and I don't remember if it had chain marks. Yup like you said Steve... Something else to look out for.

Ya I did find that my oil would turn greyish/ black but I thought it was from not getting all the fluid out using suction method. I honestly thought that in my case it was factory shaved when I opened it up in the spring, but after seeing upei93 picture I looked through my pictures and noticed his Has chain marks, my picture is from a distance and I don't remember if it had chain marks. Yup like you said Steve... Something else to look out for.
Has to be darn close to hitting the washer for reverse gear to. I think I will run mine at 1 turn out. Just as experiment. First season was at less than that and no issues. They printed in manual 1/4 turn out. Remember that! I only ran it that tight for 1/8mi and knew that was too tight since it whirred off throttle. But I would say I was at 1/2 turn out for rest of season till we found out the manual was wrong. Hate the idea of any metal getting into the bearings. Even aluminum. I don't recall seeing any though. Aluminum shows in oil in streaks. It floats like. You would see it. Grey is usually just water.

Found this old pic from 7800mi Jackshaft and bearing change thread. Sure enough mine hit too. No where near as much though. My Bigger 25t top gear could explain that but first 5000mi was stock gears.
image-jpeg.117818

Seems like a lot less wear, if you were running 1/2 turn out that could be the ticket. I' thinking 3/4 to 1-turn out might be a good thing to try, 1-1/2 turns out may be a little loose. If it doesn't whirl at 1- turn out I'm going to try that and see if it stops hitting that area.

Seems like a lot less wear, if you were running 1/2 turn out that could be the ticket. I' thinking 3/4 to 1-turn out might be a good thing to try, 1-1/2 turns out may be a little loose. If it doesn't whirl at 1- turn out I'm going to try that and see if it stops hitting that area.
I only ran 1/2 turn out first year. Ever since its been 1.5. I agree though. 1.5 is too much.

Would have to be from under tightened. Maybe its machine clearance there from factory. Sure doesn't look like it though. Crap. Nother thing to watch. Will be tensioning mine with cover off from now on for sure at least at springtime overhaul. You guys ever see aluminum floating in chaincase oil?

Pic of my chain case oil...

Attachments

• 2E112601-B7EA-4533-A745-245253D1BAA1.jpeg
    2E112601-B7EA-4533-A745-245253D1BAA1.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 209
Wow! Any sparkles in swirls on left? Hope that wasn't in your sled all summer?

Not sure that pic was taken last week and oil disposed so can’t check...a lot of moisture in there though and kinda looks like sparkles...going out to take out my drive shaft today (any tips?) I’m going to 8 tooth drivers.

Back