• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Changing drive, jackshaft and chaincase bearings...

ViperTurboPete

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Viper XTX LE MPI Turbo
2022 Expedition Extreme 850
I have an 08 Nytro MTX with reverse and I am just wondering if there is anything I need to know or snags I may run into while changing bearings. I remember my RXM was a bastard to change the jackshaft bearing...something I don't want to do again. I am hoping the Nytro will be straightforward, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

the driveshaft bearing on the speedo side should be done at about 4000 miles. the others are not normaly changed, or as needed.

Instead of starting a new post I thought I'd ask within this one. Does the jack shaft and drive shaft have to come out to replace bearings? Just for my own info, for when I do change out the drive line bearings. I have greased both pto side bearings via popping the seals

Is the jackshaft bearing not pressed on?? I thought it was or maybe I am thinking of one of my other sleds.

Driveshaft bearing is very easy to replace.

On the driveshaft bearing, to grease I remove the bearing retainer and snap ring. What else is involved in getting the old bearing out? Just looking for info before the day comes when I replace the bearings.

Thanks

I would be interested as well. My sled has 5600 miles and no clue if it was changed by PO.

I have 5200 miles now. Had 3600 miles when I bought it last year, and when I popped the seals on the pto side drive shaft bearing it was basically a dirty mess! Jackshaft bearing was a little cleaner, as suspected being higher up and further away from trail trash. I do 90% of my own repairs, I can follow simple directions! just need those simple directions

On the driveshaft bearing, to grease I remove the bearing retainer and snap ring. What else is involved in getting the old bearing out? Just looking for info before the day comes when I replace the bearings.

Thanks

The bearing is just sandwiched in the mount bracket on the PTO side. There are two bolts under the belt guard if you are taking the driveshaft all the way out. If you are just sliding the bearing out after you have the outer side of the bracket off, then it is held on the driveshaft with set screws.

from what i read its the few bolts that hold on the cover/speed sensor. once those are off go undernieth and in the tunnel will be a collar with two sets screws in it which is connected to the bearing you just uncovered. loosen those set screws. im guessing mine will need some pb blaster and or heat. maybe a small pry bar to push the bearing from the inside out using the outside cog as a prying surface. looks like you have a 121 so not sure if you have 4 driving cogs like the xtx or just two center ones. in that case prob could tap on it with a hammer. Once i get mine off ill clean the shaft with scotchbrite. lube the shaft with a high temp lub elike the green brake parts anti squeek #*$&@ and slide the bearing on. tighten the set screws. put the cover and speed sensor back on. and done. Thats how i see it all happening in my head. The chaincase side of the driveshaft/jackshaft have bearings pressed into the chaincase housing from what i read and is a bit more of a process to remove/install.

from what i read its the few bolts that hold on the cover/speed sensor. once those are off go undernieth and in the tunnel will be a collar with two sets screws in it which is connected to the bearing you just uncovered. loosen those set screws. im guessing mine will need some pb blaster and or heat. maybe a small pry bar to push the bearing from the inside out using the outside cog as a prying surface. looks like you have a 121 so not sure if you have 4 driving cogs like the xtx or just two center ones. in that case prob could tap on it with a hammer. Once i get mine off ill clean the shaft with scotchbrite. lube the shaft with a high temp lub elike the green brake parts anti squeek #*$&@ and slide the bearing on. tighten the set screws. put the cover and speed sensor back on. and done. Thats how i see it all happening in my head. The chaincase side of the driveshaft/jackshaft have bearings pressed into the chaincase housing from what i read and is a bit more of a process to remove/install.

I really don't think you'll need heat. On every Nytro I've taken apart once the set screws are loose the bearing slides off the shaft. If it does not I would suggest dropping the shaft. Two bolts under the chain guard and the entire thing drops out. It is very easy to remove the driveshaft on a nytro.

I changed the driver bearing every year....I've had one seize on the shaft and it's not fun to deal with

So no need to take the chain case apart to drop the driveshaft??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There isn't for the Jackshaft. YouTube "Team Industries clutch kit installation on a Yamaha Nytro"and you'll see the Jackshaft removal process. The pto side bearing comes right out with the shaft, no need to touch chain case

Back