• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Checking oil

Allan

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Sr Viper XTX
When checking oil. dips stick screwed in or just pushed in?
Also do you warm up your sled first and then check?
Book say to warm up and check but don't say what to do with the stick , screw in or not.

Here is how I do it.....Put the stick back in, so sits correctly, start slightly, Engine cold on level spot. If after fresh oil change run for awhile get oil well circulated and check after cools. have a paper towel ready , place against dip stick float, as it's hard to tell level without the towel to indicate oil level agains stick. With oil filter change should take 3 QTS ( 3,2) Hope this helps.

I know it s not the Viper but my Apex manual clearly states do not screw in dip stick when checking oil level. I would think the Viper would be the same with its system...

Here is how I do it.....Put the stick back in, so sits correctly, start slightly, Engine cold on level spot. If after fresh oil change run for awhile get oil well circulated and check after cools. have a paper towel ready , place against dip stick float, as it's hard to tell level without the towel to indicate oil level agains stick. With oil filter change should take 3 QTS ( 3,2) Hope this helps.

This is how I normal check oil but the book say to warm up machine first then check. I did it cold and warm and the reading are different.

I know it s not the Viper but my Apex manual clearly states do not screw in dip stick when checking oil level. I would think the Viper would be the same with its system...
My Venture MP said to screw the stick.

My Venture MP said to screw the stick.
Ya like I thought I am not very helpful on this .... just thinking it should be like the Apex in that regard? I would think the simple manual that comes with the sled would be clear about it?

i thought as a standard to never screw in the dipstick and always check cold. my tractors will take 20 min for all of the oil to settle back down after running.

Just copy this out of 2015 cat service manual. Cat don't had dip stick but a site glass .

NOTE: If the oil and engine are not at operating temperature,
the oil level may read too low. Always make
sure the engine is at operating temperature before
checking the oil

For Viper only, Read the very last page on this PDF from MPI (page 6 ). It gives you tips on checking the oil and also explains some of the variances you can see if not checked correctly.

http://mountainperformance.com/Files/Download/hsk-1160_Layout.pdf

Even if you don't have a turbo, the procedure is the same for checking the oil. And I agree is manual is not very clear but remember who printed it.

Last edited:
Sorry I have an Apex and just for the record I only use enough screw to insure the stick is in correctly... maybe 1/32 of a thread. lol.....:4STroke:;)!

For Viper only, Read the very last page on this PDF from MPI (page 6 ). It gives you tips on checking the oil and also explains some of the variances you can see if not checked correctly.

http://mountainperformance.com/Files/Download/hsk-1160_Layout.pdf

Even if you don't have a turbo, the procedure is the same for checking the oil. And I agree is manual is not very clear but remember who printed it.

I copy it :

NOTES ABOUT READING OIL LEVEL:
• Correct procedure for reading oil level.
• Level is always read by screwing the cap all the way in, then removed.
• Start with a cool vehicle on flat / level ground.
• Start vehicle and warm up for a few minutes (manual says till fan comes on). Typically once water has reached 150+deg F it is warm and variances from temp are gone.
• Shut motor off.
• Wait at least 30 sec, but no more than 90 sec to read oil level.

• Huge oil level reading variations have been observed. They are TIME & TEMPERATURE dependent.
• Highest level observed on warm motor with-in 60sec of shut-down.
• Level drops 60cc within 1 minute of above condition (would cause over-fill if customer used this reading).
• Lowest level observed on cold motor after only 30sec of run time (would cause 235cc over-fill).
• Oil level on cold motor and no run time is a little low (would cause 150cc over-fill)
• Reading oil level without screwing dip stick all the way in causes about 175cc over-fill in addition to above conditions.

Last edited:
So we are suppose to screw stick all way in?

The yamacat procedure requires the stick to be screwed in. Everyone here is used to the Japan Yamaha's where you dont screw it in. It had me confused at first too, why did they have to change it? not sure :o|

Last edited:
Thankfully none of my Yamahas are oil burners. I always add 3.5 qts at oil change and call it good. Is very tough to get consistent readings with the tank system. Those instructions from MPI are better than any in Manuals.

Back