• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to the Viper

Lineman735

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Viper XTX LE
2010 Nytro XTX
Since I had to park my Nytro, I went and bought a leftover 2016 Viper XTX LE, the heritage red and white...love the color. In the manual regarding oil checking, it doesn't clarify whether the dipstick is screwed in or not...I'm assuming it's not, cause of my Nytro. In my searching it looks like it gets screwed in to get the proper reading...true? Reason I ask is, when checking things over I noticed the oil level is way above the full mark..this is after letting it warm up properly...shutting it off and waiting 30 seconds...still above full. I contacted the dealer to let them know and their tech said not to screw it in?? Anyone have documentation on what it is?

I think so too. I checked the service manual and nothing was clear there either. I did find, through a search, a document from mpi that had a detailed procedure for checking the oil...and I think it had it screwed in.

I think so too. I checked the service manual and nothing was clear there either. I did find, through a search, a document from mpi that had a detailed procedure for checking the oil...and I think it had it screwed in.

1. Contact
    AllanExpert

For Viper only, Read the very last page on this PDF from MPI (page 6 ). It gives you tips on checking the oil and also explains some of the variances you can see if not checked correctly.

http://mountainperformance.com/Files/Download/hsk-1160_Layout.pdf

Even if you don't have a turbo, the procedure is the same for checking the oil. And I agree is manual is not very clear but remember who printed it.
    I copy it :

NOTES ABOUT READING OIL LEVEL:
    • Correct procedure for reading oil level.
    • Level is always read by screwing the cap all the way in, then removed.
    • Start with a cool vehicle on flat / level ground.
    • Start vehicle and warm up for a few minutes (manual says till fan comes on). Typically once water has reached 150+deg F it is warm and variances from temp are gone.
    • Shut motor off.
    • Wait at least 30 sec, but no more than 90 sec to read oil level.

• Huge oil level reading variations have been observed. They are TIME & TEMPERATURE dependent.
    • Highest level observed on warm motor with-in 60sec of shut-down.
    • Level drops 60cc within 1 minute of above condition (would cause over-fill if customer used this reading).
    • Lowest level observed on cold motor after only 30sec of run time (would cause 235cc over-fill).
    • Oil level on cold motor and no run time is a little low (would cause 150cc over-fill)
    • Reading oil level without screwing dip stick all the way in causes about 175cc over-fill in addition to above conditions.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Nov 29, 2015EditHistoryDeleteSpamIPWarnReport
    LikeReply
    CooperT and yamahaguys like this.

Thank you. I had to drain off between 1/2 and 3/4 of a liter to get it to the normal range. I'll double check after a few kms of riding....just to be sure.

Thank you. I had to drain off between 1/2 and 3/4 of a liter to get it to the normal range. I'll double check after a few kms of riding....just to be sure.
Keep it slightly below full. Mine was at full if not a hair over from the factory and it blew some oil out of the breather into my airbox. This seems to be a common issue with too much oil.

I just bought one as well, during my PDI, I was told to screw the cap in to check level vs. the old Apex you did not screw in.

Even on the Apex I noticed not screwing it in and filling it to about mid way point to full, there would be oil spit into the air box. I spoke to the guy doing my PDI on the viper about it when he told me "to screw in cap" that it's actually better to do it on the Apex's as well.

I drained about 3/4 of a litre out just to get it to the max leveL when I got home from the dealer. ..good now though

It will definitely spit oil out if you fill it with the dip stick NOT screwed in. I made that mistake when I first got mine and though it was low! I nicely undercoat ed the engine compartment on my first 500km ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will definitely spit oil out if you fill it with the dip stick NOT screwed in. I made that mistake when I first got mine and though it was low! I nicely undercoat ed the engine compartment on my first 500km ride.
I edited your post Hellflyer. Added NOT. OK?

Back