• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Closed loop - poor fuel mileage

Its worth a quick once over of the entire exhaust. Any leak in the exhaust will throw off the O2 sensor. The primary impact of which is that the sensor would read the AFR as lean. (causing enrichment and poor mileage).

Last edited:

I’m my case it involved the AEM sensor. There was a bad batch of them that made it to market it took over a year to resolve with the vendor and about 800 miles on the sled some of those were with the sensor unplugged cuz I couldn’t handle looking at 14.5 on the screen. Sled runs super strong now so I don’t think there was any permanent damage. Tune went in in Jan22 and it was the following Jan that it was resolved. With lots of conversation in between The sensor never did quite and would function properly at times. It was very frustrating and impossible to dial in the clutching. I believe it was the module that was the problem not the sensor as I changed both to fix it. If it was a resent purchase I’d be on the vendor to make it right sooner than later.
Good luck

I believe u can only read boost on the hr meter with the stock guage? Need dash flash to get afr
If you have the flasher and the app you can select in the app if you want hr meter to read boost or afr. If you have dash flash you can monitor both at same time.

Does the closed loop turn off and default to the tune when the O2 sensor takes a crap?
Can the O2 sensor just give false readings, and if so is there a possibility for damage if it leans things out when it’s already lean and reading false values
It should throw a code if the 02 is bad and then the tune will default to the base tune so MaxSpool 17 in my case. I dont think it could ever lean out totally.

I’m my case it involved the AEM sensor. There was a bad batch of them that made it to market it took over a year to resolve with the vendor and about 800 miles on the sled some of those were with the sensor unplugged cuz I couldn’t handle looking at 14.5 on the screen. Sled runs super strong now so I don’t think there was any permanent damage. Tune went in in Jan22 and it was the following Jan that it was resolved. With lots of conversation in between The sensor never did quite and would function properly at times. It was very frustrating and impossible to dial in the clutching. I believe it was the module that was the problem not the sensor as I changed both to fix it. If it was a resent purchase I’d be on the vendor to make it right sooner than later.
Good luck
And you werent getting any codes? I'm wondering if that's what's happening, its a bad 02. I dont have the AEM module.

Mine showed running lean most of the time with no codes. If you unplug sensor it will revert back to original tune without CL. And I would think your fuel mileage will be back to normal. I’d either replace module or get dash flash to monitor afr

Other than that it would be a problem with the tune

Is this a new install ?

I believe AEM sells the module and some universal wiring relatively inexpensive, it would just need to be pinned correctly.

Last year my O2 sensor went, on Hurricane tune, and it began running super rich. My mileage went way down. Lucky to get 10mpg. There were NO CODES present, but when looking at the afr reading on the factory gauge, the numbers were all over the board. Nothing steady. Replaced the o2 sensor and back in business.

I was under the impression that if 02 sensor fails it defaults to 300 ss tune in which case mileage isnt really horrible?

I was under the impression that if 02 sensor fails it defaults to 300 ss tune in which case mileage isnt really horrible?
If the sensor is not reading it will go back to the default tune. If the sensor is reading but not accurate, there would be no programmatic way the tune would know without another source to go off of.

Back