• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch kit question

Voda2000

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer GT 136"
I posted something similar in Ulmer section earlier this week but haven't revived a response so I was hoping some one here could offer some advice.

I just installed a Ulmer clutch kit on the weekend and here is my issue.

When I pin the throttle the rpm would go to 11000 then back down to 10800. This was with the secondary set on A1. I changed the secondary to B1 and now the rpm would go to 11600 and then down to 11200.

The temperature was hovering around 0C and we don't have a lot of snow. I was testing on a lake. The speedometer showed 130 km/h on A1 and 140km/h on A2.

How much of a difference will the temperature make?

I only weigh 140 lbs. The instructions said that B1 would be the setting for people over 220 lbs so I'm really confused why I would need set it on that to get the rpm back up.

Do I have this setup right or is there something else I should do?

Thanks fro any help.

sounds like B1 is your correct secondary setting - temp doesn't make much difference in rpm's from my experience - both of my phazers would rev past 11600 and them come back down and rise back up when everything shifted out. I run B2 on my RTX and mine revs to 11700 comes back down and then goes back to around 11600 on full shift out - and it pulls all the way.

Not sure which belt. It's the one that came with the reverse update I remember the markings are red on it.

Would there be any point in trying one setting stiffer on the secondary?

Is there any disadvantage of running it stiffer in terms of belt ware or failure? I don't really want to shorten up belt life too much.

It wont hurt belt life.Stiffer setting it just shifts less and gives you higher rpm pretty much throughout the range.I think you are good running 11,200 is a little to be gained powerwise at 11,500 but gas mileage suffers believe it or not.Ulmers kit was originally designed for the other belt and before update.That belt ran higher in secondary and would have revs higher but your good where you are.Most have trouble with revving to high 12,000 or more!

Thanks for the help I think I'll leave it where I am for now. I would rather have better economy than a little more top end. I generally ride tight trails and top end is not as important to me.

Its a big difference.I bet 5mpg if your riding fast trails where its to the bars all the time.Cant be to good for motor either.

Back