• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stock Sidewinder clutch changes

Yes, the RX-1 puller will work fine. Don't try and use a badly grooved & worn helix.
Thanks for that. I just read one of your older posts about the Dalton weights. What weight would you run in a stock winder? I read 66 is lighter but mor aggressive. Is the 70 a better choice for belt squeeze? I noticed when my belt blew all clutch surfaces were very warm to the touch. Not hot but very warm. Is that normal for these sleds?

Thanks for that. I just read one of your older posts about the Dalton weights. What weight would you run in a stock winder? I read 66 is lighter but mor aggressive. Is the 70 a better choice for belt squeeze? I noticed when my belt blew all clutch surfaces were very warm to the touch. Not hot but very warm. Is that normal for these sleds?

In a stock Winder I'd run the stock weight myself. I've never run a stock winder to know what Dalton weight to put in it. It's going to depend on what belt you want to use too. Maybe some stock guy will chime in thats run them, I know we run 70 G weights on the 240 Hurricane tune and put the 1" slug in them for about 74G or so. So Id guess the 70G myself. We run the 270 Tunes at 78G and the 300 up at 80-81G depending on secondary setups.

Mine looks like this too. Can it be saved with some sanding and polishing?
No, the angles with that much wear are wrong now. I replaced that one and put the much wider Cat rollers in.
The other problem with the stock rollers is they also start to wear into the side where they are mounted.

In a stock Winder I'd run the stock weight myself. I've never run a stock winder to know what Dalton weight to put in it. It's going to depend on what belt you want to use too. Maybe some stock guy will chime in thats run them, I know we run 70 G weights on the 240 Hurricane tune and put the 1" slug in them for about 74G or so. So Id guess the 70G myself. We run the 270 Tunes at 78G and the 300 up at 80-81G depending on secondary setups.

OP is running an XS belt. If in fact it's the 825 he will be down on RPMs.
That's kinda why I suggested all stock parts, then go from there.
He doesn't mention anything about a future tune, etc. Idk....

Right, but because the rollers are flat spotted and skidding its reving up at 9K from the sounds of it.

I too would run all stock stuff. Thats why I said I'd run the stock weights, stock helix and stock belt too. Noting wrong with the stock stuff on a stock sled. Worked very well the one day I rode mine stock!

Right, but because the rollers are flat spotted and skidding its reving up at 9K from the sounds of it.

Noting wrong with the stock stuff on a stock sled. Worked very well the "ONE" day I rode mine stock!
Thanks

I have no plans to tune or flash. I want the sled to last me 20K miles with only a few belts like my RX 1 has so far. Just want best setup overall that will make it dependable. As I get older I get more concerned about breakdowns and being stranded. A few years ago one sled in my group broke the track drive shaft in half and we had to build a raft to put under it to get it out of the woods. Anyway, it looks like i need a new helix and rollers so far. It appears sticking to the 35 helix is best from what I have read on the site here but maybe add the Dalton spring. Maybe all I need to do is get it aligned and rebuild to new stock specs. I would like to run the Yamaha belt if I can get it to last at least a few thousand miles. That would be great.

Thank you for the replies.

I have no plans to tune or flash. I want the sled to last me 20K miles with only a few belts like my RX 1 has so far. Just want best setup overall that will make it dependable. As I get older I get more concerned about breakdowns and being stranded. A few years ago one sled in my group broke the track drive shaft in half and we had to build a raft to put under it to get it out of the woods. Anyway, it looks like i need a new helix and rollers so far. It appears sticking to the 35 helix is best from what I have read on the site here but maybe add the Dalton spring. Maybe all I need to do is get it aligned and rebuild to new stock specs. I would like to run the Yamaha belt if I can get it to last at least a few thousand miles. That would be great.

Thank you for the replies.

Yep, clutch alignment, rollers & new 35° helix. Someone makes a billet 35° helix.
I just put a Dalton black orange in my secondary, as my factory spring was probably sacked out by now. I'll replace the primary spring with a factory one, for next year
3850miles on two 8jp belts. 1500 on first & 2300+ on second. I still have the first one as a backup.
Get a secondary clutch adjuster from BOP or like. Just to keep deflection in order.
I took a temperature gauge with me a few weeks ago. The belt temp of the 8jp never got over 140° & the clutches were in the 100° to 120° range. Those numbers were the highest during spirited trail riding.
Just warm to the touch...

I ride 100% of the time by myself. So I know where you're coming from.

Yep, clutch alignment, rollers & new 35° helix. Someone makes a billet 35° helix.
I just put a Dalton black orange in my secondary, as my factory spring was probably sacked out by now. I'll replace the primary spring with a factory one, for next year
3850miles on two 8jp belts. 1500 on first & 2300+ on second. I still have the first one as a backup.
Get a secondary clutch adjuster from BOP or like. Just to keep deflection in order.
I took a temperature gauge with me a few weeks ago. The belt temp of the 8jp never got over 140° & the clutches were in the 100° to 120° range. Those numbers were the highest during spirited trail riding.
Just warm to the touch...

I ride 100% of the time by myself. So I know where you're coming from.
Looks like Dalton is the place to be for basic parts. They have the helix in billet at 35. I think there black bronze primary spring could work well looking at it to? Did you set your spring at 3 and 3, or 6 and 1? I actually had quit riding. My registration was overdue by 3 years on my sled. My 22 year old son decided to buy a sled earlier this year which has now pulled me back in. Of course I had to upgrade my equipment, but I still love my RX 1

Looks like Dalton is the place to be for basic parts. They have the helix in billet at 35. I think there black bronze primary spring could work well looking at it to? Did you set your spring at 3 and 3, or 6 and 1? I actually had quit riding. My registration was overdue by 3 years on my sled. My 22 year old son decided to buy a sled earlier this year which has now pulled me back in. Of course I had to upgrade my equipment, but I still love my RX 1

For the Dalton black orange it's 6/2. Make sure wherever you get it that they send you the updated black orange, which will just have paint on one coil versus The Old spring that has three coils painted.
I have the blk/brz primary spring as well. Just not sure if I'm going to use it or not.
I'm not 100% sure about its application.

Here’s some charts to help you decide on Primary Springs if you do go there!

Yamaha chart has 3 colors, yours being the last one on the bottom of that page!
Gold-Red-Gold

993B758F-B1DD-4ABA-922A-0807B706D1E2.jpeg

8B4C5521-E828-404E-8C3A-C84FA5EC6CE6.png

Mike what primary spring are you running with the bigger tunes?

I believe Knapp went to a Tapp clutch so not apples to apples. I run the black / bronze which is similar to the stock.

Mike what primary spring are you running with the bigger tunes?

When I was running Yamaha primaries I would use the Black/Blue and the Black/Bronze. The last setup I was running the Black/Bronze, but not much of a difference as I recall.

I've now installed the TAPP primary and put a whole 235 miles on it this season....

Back