• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Kits

1975FA

Expert
I have an 08 RTX 121 sled. I have been running an Ulmer stage 1 clutch kit for the last 4 or 5 years. The cam arms are getting worn out so I will need to make a move soon. I am thinking of getting the rollers and spring that Schmidt Bros. use in there kit for the primary clutch because of the longer service life of the oem parts they use. I still have the original cam arms. How will this setup work with the Ulmer secondary helix? Has anybody tried this mixture of kits?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that kit use the Super Tip weights? If so, the bushings are replaceable.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that kit use the Super Tip weights? If so, the bushings are replaceable.

The bushings realy aren't the problem. The face of the arms that runs against the roller has a couple of divets worn into all three of them. One arm has started to peen over on the edges. The material they are mad of is soft. I think the oem arms will last longer. This setup has a bought 5000 miles on it.

Gotcha. I know mine started to divet a bit, I use very fine emery cloth or steel wool to polish them out as good as possible. I haven't had a problem with them peel at all.

I run a Schmidt stage 2 in my nytro and its a really nice kit. The engagement is super smooth and it makes the sled pull hard. Now i'm not sure how it would work with a different secondary set up. The stage 2 comes with new rivets for the stock weights, new springs, and a helix.

You can buy just a set of the supertip weights from stm or ulmer. Be alot cheaper than buying a whole kit. The schmidt bros is ok i guess, i dont really like the low engagement to be honest. Low is slow right?

My first set of stm weights wore out in the middles as well.

You can buy just a set of the supertip weights from stm or ulmer. Be alot cheaper than buying a whole kit. The schmidt bros is ok i guess, i dont really like the low engagement to be honest. Low is slow right?

My first set of stm weights wore out in the middles as well.

That's my point, I can put the Schmidt bros primary set up together a little cheaper than buying another set of weights from Ulmer's. I think the yamaha components Schmidt bros used will be longer lasting. I don't see any need to buy a whole kit no matter which way I go.

Back