• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cobra 1.35 vs Ripsaw 2 1.25

If I’m wrong about the cobras bonus in being more flexible and it actually makes it weaker, and allows it to balloon a bunch more like a couple have theorized about.

Cobra vs Ripsaw II is Street tire vs offroad tire. One is made traction in ideal circumstances (groomed trails), the other is built for traction across a wider range of conditions and is of tougher design. Thats is a slight exaggeration in both cases but you get the idea. The rip II is a better track for a high HP sled, that is why the camso guy I spoke to runs it while he says if the cobra was tougher it would be his track of choice. Ballooning (I really wish we would quit calling it that) is a function of weight as much as it is of construction and flexibility, run your track tight whichever one you get.

Cobra vs Ripsaw II is Street tire vs offroad tire. One is made traction in ideal circumstances (groomed trails), the other is built for traction across a wider range of conditions and is of tougher design. Thats is a slight exaggeration in both cases but you get the idea. The rip II is a better track for a high HP sled, that is why the camso guy I spoke to runs it while he says if the cobra was tougher it would be his track of choice. Ballooning (I really wish we would quit calling it that) is a function of weight as much as it is of construction and flexibility, run your track tight whichever one you get.
I get that, but if we run track tight (ripsaw 2 is actually heavier track) the construction and amount of stretch it has is all that makes it very which is what I’m concerned with. No it won’t be a ton diff but I do worry about how soft overall cobra is. But I wasn’t hoping it was just my thought and not reality.

I woulnt run a Cobra myself ever. Wouldn't even be on a list of tracks I'd run on the Trail. I had one on a Z1 turbo and although it was fine in powder, it was a piece of crap on the trail. Lugs would just fold right over and just paddle on the ground spinning away.

Rip2 is IMO the best trail track ever built to date. The single ply Cobra I ran and studded would also ballon like a rubber band and ratchet like a SOB, I couldn't get it tight enough to prevent ratcheting at higher speeds. If I had a sled with it on I'd take it off at mile one, thats how bad I actually hate it.

Had a buddy that had a Cobra switched on to his used stock Thundercat he bought it, that thing couldn't get out of its own way, the 850 Poos and Doos would beat him up top, it was embarrassing. He switched to the Rip2 and it was the other way around, he could then drive away from the 850s. Do what you want, but the Cobra is junk IMO.

I woulnt run a Cobra myself ever. Wouldn't even be on a list of tracks I'd run on the Trail. I had one on a Z1 turbo and although it was fine in powder, it was a piece of crap on the trail. Lugs would just fold right over and just paddle on the ground spinning away.

Rip2 is IMO the best trail track ever built to date. The single ply Cobra I ran and studded would also ballon like a rubber band and ratchet like a SOB, I couldn't get it tight enough to prevent ratcheting at higher speeds. If I had a sled with it on I'd take it off at mile one, thats how bad I actually hate it.

Had a buddy that had a Cobra switched on to his used stock Thundercat he bought it, that thing couldn't get out of its own way, the 850 Poos and Doos would beat him up top, it was embarrassing. He switched to the Rip2 and it was the other way around, he could then drive away from the 850s. Do what you want, but the Cobra is junk IMO.
got ya. That’s kinda what I was thinking but hoped to be wrong. Only on my list because someone has one for reasonable price and I’m in market. Figured the 2 would be best choice but thought I would ask. Thanks guys

Ok so where we land on this argument lol. I found my track looks like it is cracking around the studs length wise on the track like it’s dry rotted almost. Anyway I know of a cobra take off brand new and a ripsaw 2 with little over a season on it. Bonus is cobra doesn’t have the dumb quiet pads and is clipped every window.

Does the flexibility of lug actually give it more durability since it wont crack and break but will fold and conform to the terrain? When on bare ice will lugs fold and allow more penetration of the studs? Is it as strong a track in tension as a ripsaw or chance of pulling apart?
If both are studded I think your splitting hairs. Lugs falling off ? I could see this more so on a unstudded cobra.

A Cobra track won't hold up to near the abuse that the Ripsaw 2 will. The Cobra is fine for 2-strokes that don't have much torque... but I would never put one on a Sidewinder (tuned or stock).

A Cobra track won't hold up to near the abuse that the Ripsaw 2 will. The Cobra is fine for 2-strokes that don't have much torque... but I would never put one on a Sidewinder (tuned or stock).

Agree, however its fine if all you do is powder snow, the Cobra works fine there, but unless they changed the compound over the years the Cobra lugs just fold and wont work well on the trail on a sled with any HP, even studded the Cobra is an terrible track IMO. I'd have a Rip1 over a Cobra even for a trail track, but the Rip2 is far and away the preferred trail track for a Winder.

I have had RipSaw 2s on two of my previous sleds and agree they are the best all around tracks I have ever used. My SW is a 141" so I am limited to a 1 3/4 back country one ply track that has amazingly stood up extremely well over 5000 tuned miles.
When and if I need a new track I will probably reinstall a new Back Country but I may also consider converting to a 144" track.
Interesting thing about the 144" Cobra Ice is its a 2 ply track as compared to all other Cobras being a one ply.
Unfortunately the RipSaw 2s are not available in either a 141 or a 144 inch track.

Cobra tracks are all 1 ply? I did not think this was the case..

If I'm not mistaken the Polaris Cobras are two-ply. I know the old Cat Cobras they put on the Z1 turbos were one ply and ballooned like a rubber band when studded like no other.

If I'm not mistaken the Polaris Cobras are two-ply. I know the old Cat Cobras they put on the Z1 turbos were one ply and ballooned like a rubber band when studded like no other.
I think these two ply Cobras were made for Polaris as well. People were installing them on Apex XTXs as well.
From what I have seen the 2 ply is only available in the 144 length.

cobra.JPG

Yea Polaris runs them on a lot. And they are 2 ply.. Guess will see what shows up on the catalyst RXC.. I was figuring a two ply.. If its a 1 ply I will be changing it.

Cobra tracks are all 1 ply? I did not think this was the case..
My 2021 riot 9000 custom build was a factory 2ply 146x1.6" cobra, lugs started parting ways from belting with less than 2000 miles, and like mike states lugs fold over easy, not a good track for winder power.

My 2021 riot 9000 custom build was a factory 2ply 146x1.6" cobra, lugs started parting ways from belting with less than 2000 miles, and like mike states lugs fold over easy, not a good track for winder power.
correct, cobras that come on the xtx le 146 and 146 riots from factory are 2 ply.

Back