• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cold air kits on classified ads

fourbarrel

Building a collection one sled at a time
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2019 SRX
I am seeing a lot of cold air kits for sale on my local classified ads lately. I'm not sure if people are finding a better one or just replacing with stock? I have actually been contemplating putting one on mine and am wondering why all the used ones for sale.

I've read that thread and it makes sense that if the intake is still inside the hood it's drawing warm air.I'm surprised nobody has come up with a way to shroud the intake filter with a snorkel to only draw outside air.Having the filter outside the hood isn't something I personally would run but I see where they are used by guys wanting the absolute max out of their engine.

I don't doubt Mike's data but to me it's confusing because from watching IAT temps on same day, with and without, on same sled, as long as sled is moving along at some speed (say over 20-30 MPH or so) I think it is CAI. Comparing same day with two identically prepped sleds (same tunes, same everything) I'd still say it's a CAI not a WAI. Not sure if it matters but both sleds have that plastic panel in front of fuse block opened way up and Frogzskin. Also lots of other forward facing openings (panels - Mo Flo type) and belly pan vents along with more exit-side openings as well.
Maybe I'm only kidding myself or it's wishful thinking? PEFI includes it with Stage 3R (300HP).

Attachments

• PEFI - CA.1.jpg
    PEFI - CA.1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 88
@Turboflash That may be the key is that you have all the vents that allow actual air to pass through, if you just do a cold air the air will hit a pressure wall and not even make it to the filter, but if your venting behind it and it can actually flow then I could see some benefit. Key is to think globally in terms of the entire system, most guys just want to bolt on a part because it looks like it will for sure work and not look back. I am learning with my trwincharged build you really have to think through the entire thing, how air gets to the filter, where it goes, from there, all the way until it exits the muffler with no stone left unturned...

Is there a noticeable power difference between the stock intake and one of these aftermarket intakes? How about IATs?

I'm sticking with my MS16 stock muffler tune. The only way to tweak it from here is with an intake, header, or 3 bar.

Is there a noticeable power difference between the stock intake and one of these aftermarket intakes? How about IATs?

I'm sticking with my MS16 stock muffler tune. The only way to tweak it from here is with an intake, header, or 3 bar.
I believe KnappAttack reported about 1/2 lb more boost with CAI.

Back