• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Two-Stroke..... Said I'd never buy another but.....

I would be interested. I have one of them hanging up in the garage right now.
I would be interested. I have one of them hanging up in the garage right now.
I can send it to you. Email me your address and I will put it in the mail for you. I have a lot of the old Arctic posters from the past, I saw this and knew you were active on this forum, didn’t know if you had it or not.

Technically, "I" didn't buy it, and technically what I said was "I'd never buy another for TRAIL RIDING", but my sweet WIFE actually bought it for me and surprised me with it! Its not a "trail sled" but my old 91 Improved stock Wildcat 700 "Race Sled" that I built and won so many races with. This thing brings back so many memories, I used to let off the throttle mid-track so I didn't absolutely drive the competition away. I found it quite funny that people would come up to us and say "I was catching you" or "I just ran out of room to catch you".... Some people or racers knew what I was doing, some didn't. Fun stuff! It all started with racing this thing to build up my engine building business, and this is the sled that really kicked off my professional drag racing career.

Long story, but my good buddy wanted to run some vintage and classic races. He wanted me to build him a old 700 Cat. Instead, I called the guy in Maine (another good friend) that I sold my 91 Wildcat 700 to. He still had it and it had been sitting for a while. I got my local buddy hooked up with him and they made a deal. He had it shipped back here and brought it to me so I could go thru it and get it back in shape and ready to win again. We spent a couple days tearing it down and ready to rip again. He swapped a 129" track into it after it left here and changed the looks of it, when it went our East, It got a paint job and ended up with a bit more purple on it than he wanted. So he slowly got back to the green and more of the original look put back into it. Still not there yet, or perfect by any means. We fired it up in the garage I kicked myself for not buying it myself. It sounded just like I remembered. It was a sled that was so fast and unbeatable it was uncanny. Brought back so many good memories!

Not a sled in the day could run with this Cat 700 in the Improved class, not even the 800's triples or 880 V-Max's. I say 880's because Hauck had built his Open Improved 880 V-Max-4 before I had my 1000 Thundercat Open Improver done for the 93 season, I had to race this 700 against him the for the first race of that 93 season. Hauck beat me the first race with that 880 V-Max on Saturday by a ski length is all. I didnt have time to get the 700 ready for the first race so I let my crew chief ready the sled for the season. My Wife was pregnant and on bed rest, so I had to take care of her before the sled, I had no choice but to let him ready it. Well after we were done racing that Saturday night I figured we had better do something to come back on Sunday to make an attempt to beat him, I elected to gear down and give that a try, I went to tip the sled on it side to make the gear change and save the chaincase oil, but before tipping it on the side, we have to pull the belt to prevent gas spillage from getting on the belt and ruining it. Low and behold I found the wrong belt on the it. My crew chief had put a belt on that we knew to be a slower belt from testing earlier on. So I geared it down and installed the known faster belt for Sunday. We came back for Sundays race and into the final we go, right alongside Hauck and that 880 Open Improved V-Max again. The light went green and we both came out side by side, my little 700 that could pulled away for the win and put a solid length on him. I had won that Sunday race by more than he beat me on Saturday! Couldn't have scripted it any better!

One week later Yamaha Corporate put a two page centerfold add in SnowWeek that read "V-Max-4 Wins Mid-America". I was so absolutly pissed off that I vowed I'd never let off the gas again the whole season. The next race we went to, Hauck was taunting me in the pits, "here kitty kitty" he say every time he saw me in the pits. I'd laugh to myself as he didnt even know I had my Thundercat in the trailer ready to race. It was comical because we had just fired it up for the first time the day before out in testing on the ice. We had it absolutely flying and running the numbers before I broke something very critical, I had to get some parts welded up and was up till 3AM putting it all back together. I knew the competition was in for a world of hurt! When I pulled that T-Cat out of the trailer and fired it up it was unreal, know one knew I had it or what it was capable of! It was all over but the crying for Hauck, he never won another race or even came close in open improved if I was at the racetrack. That 700 Wildcat and 1000 T-Cat I had was an unbeatable combination for many years, but that 700, that was the little "underdog". I won the World Series of Ice in 93 that season with it by an actual 2-3 bus lengths in the final. People were stunned at how incredibly fast it really was when I stayed on the gas. I had vowed to never let off again after Yamaha pissed me off with that SnowWeek add, if I remember correctly there were 42 or 43 sleds in AA Improved stock. A few weeks latter we went back to Cedarville MI and went on the timing lights at that Cedarvile race in back in 93 for the first time, (it was the first time races had been run on timing lights, prior to this it was just a camera used to call the winners at the finish line). I won that race by over a half a second with that 700! It ran equal number to the winner of the 650 Pro-Stock class and thats when I realized it was a mistake to run it full out on the timers or at the World Series. The next season the AA Improved class had dwindled to just 20 entrants. I had driven literally half of the competition away with this little 91 700 Wildcat. I even took it speed running and set a record with it in 50 Degree weather and slushy conditions before I had sold it, it drove the competition nuts!

Anyway, I had asked my buddy to give me first dibs on this sled when it was time for him to sell it, and he did, he ultimately just wanted to trail ride and not race anymore, but I elected to pass on it not wanting to race anymore either. I thought about just putting it up on the shelf to to look at to bring back those awesome memories. My wife heard me turn him down on the sled that night on the phone, she then secretly bought it for me the next evening when I saw it up for sale online, I was already kicking myself. She knew it was an opportunity I'd never get back, she knew I would kick myself forever.... I saw it for sale for only one day and then the add was taken down. Sure enough, I kicked myself for days, unbeknownst to me my wife had secretly purchased it for me to put on the shelf. I was ranting around and pouting that weekend, she was forced to tell me she had secretly bought it for me. I didn't believe her until she showed me the texts between her and my friend. I couldn't believe it....

What a wife!

Anyway after all that rambling and reminiscing, here's my old 700 the way it is now.

View attachment 173784

View attachment 173785

This is what it looked like back in the day. Front cover of 94 PSI catalog.

View attachment 173786
What a precious wife. And a great story! Thanks for sharing it.

Back