• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cranked & Cranked, no start. come back later and it star

DigitalFusion

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Viper LTX, 10 Turbo Phazer MTX, 08 Phazer, 88 SnoScoot
WTH?

I started the sled tonight, let her run till the red light went out, pulled her into the garage and shut it down. After the heater ran for a while to take the chill off, I started on the hyfax. I started her up to use the reverse method to peel off the slides. After the red light went out I attempted to give her some throttle and she died the second I hit the gas. When I tried to start her again, it just wasnt happening. I could just sit there and crank and crank. The most she would do is sound like she would fire for a split second, and then just go back to cranking. I could hear the fuel pump running, so I knew that wasnt it. I came in to tuck the wife and kid into bed, and when I went back out about 30 mins later, she fired right up! I was able to start her no problem three times after that during the hyfax change.

What gives? I know the fuel pump relay is supposedly a common issue on these, and my searches resulted in many posts talking about it. I didnt find any posts that said that the fuel pump was indeed running when this happened, so I am pretty confused! Any ideas?

i hope thats the case, cause it did the same damned thing tonight after warmin up the garage with her in it! We have a big ride planned Friday night! Not only do I not want to get stranded, but I dont think I would ever hear the end of it from my 2-smoke 'doo riding buddies who think I am a fool for buying such a 'heavy sled'. I always come back with at least I know I will make it home!

I hope nothing else is up. Kinda toying with swapping out the plugs tomorrow before we leave, but I am not sure I want to open a can of worms. How long does it take to get down to where a guy can see the spark plugs on these things anyway? I cant imagine its more than just popping off the body panels and removing the headlight/dash assembly?

Mine acted somewhat the same started fine ran 40 miles going down the trail and err code 1 and code 84 tors one minute it would start and the next it would crank/crank/crank dead in the water took friend to local watering hole and borrowed sled to get home and fetch truck and trailer loaded up and took home unloaded and seemed fine checked throttle cable seemed fine bypassed tors and found driveshaft bearing bad double check all of these

I just let it sit for 45 mins, and still no start.

I have no codes at all. Your saying your driveshaft bearing was bad, and it caused it to not start? That makes no sense to me? :dunno:

Might want to take a quick dig in there and change the spark plugs - multiple cold starts in a row tend to foul up the spark plugs as you are running in a constant enrichment mode during cold start and this can cause hard starting along with erradic idle/miss type symptoms.

On a separate note what triple777 is referring to with the driveshaft bearing going bad causing a no start is that when the bearing goes bad it causes the gear on the end of the drive shaft to contact the speed sensor and if left go long enough it will wear into it enough to damage the internal wiring circuits of the speed sensor which are tied into the fuel injection system and cause a trouble code resulting in a no start.

interesting.... Im gonna go pull the plugs.

(SIDE NOTE: guess where this dude got the slides from? Thats right That ^ dude)

pulled the plugs and they are fouled. As a bonus, I found a coolant leak. The night just keeps getting better for me!

EDIT: after realizing that the phpbb ignores quotes around a search string and entering fouled plugs with 'search for all terms' instead of the default I found numerous posts on this issue. One of which really hit home with the unheated/heated garage: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... uled+plugs

thanks man. im pretty stoked that the parts fiche (again @ port yami) shows that its just an o-ring. I should be able to find one in my library of orings, and if not, the local hardware store should have one. Tomorrow nights trip might happen after all!

You'd be surprised that it still may be a relay for the fuel pump? I just had mine sit there and click, but wouldn't start. Just for grins, try switching it with another one and try it out. A spare is always a good thing to have...

nate007 said:
You'd be surprised that it still may be a relay for the fuel pump? I just had mine sit there and click, but wouldn't start. Just for grins, try switching it with another one and try it out. A spare is always a good thing to have...

mine has done the same thing a few times, always just after a quick ride

ScottyD said:
nate007 said:

mine has done the same thing a few times, always just after a quick ride

Flooded, just disconnect the fuel pump (grey connector - clutch side by the tank, and start her up. Let her run till she dies then reconnect the pump, will remove all the gas in the cylinders. Restart and touch on the gas oh so slightly till all cylinders are running smoothly. Much easier than removing the plugs itself...

Good tip TotallyNytro...why didn't I think of that the last couple times I've flooded mine!

I've flooded mine a few times and never changed the plugs, I've never noticed any performacne loss. Mybe the performance loss is there and I just have not noticed it, but I think these 4strokes are much more forgiving of floods that the 2smokers.

Back