• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Crusty rust - upper and lower a arms-rear too

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 vector
I can't believe with 588 Miles I am already having rust on the a arms. Just life? I guess doing the powder coat has to be.
fffc4fd0eea5c098a68f67dc8e6021ca.jpg

Thanks

Open trailer? I see stone in the pic too, like its stored over a stone "pad". Ideally you'd like a nice attached garage cement floor, then it goes down to a barn or storage cement floor, wood shed floor, a cement pad with a portable garage, cement pad no cover, stone pad, straight up dirt. Wash the sled, and wash it often, spray it down before storage with a protectant, like armor-all or a spray detailer, this will coat the surface in ions to repel moisture thereby slowing rusting and corrosion.

Clean off the rust stains with vinegar and try and mitigate the damage from returning. Powder coating will only buy you some time and cost you money, you have to attack the source to really end your issue.

Probably because those are areas that get less paint to protect the bare metal. You could try to clean it up and touch it up with a brush applied paint but would likely return. I had mine powder coated and have held up great. The powder is applied using static so it goes everywhere and then baked.

So just to be clear, this is on an Apex that was built in Japan?

This is for all the whiners in the Viper forum who "Want a True Built in Japan snowmobile", because they are perfect and the Arctic Crap/Yamaha partnership is terrible and every issue on a brand new sled is attributed to the poor quality coming from Thief River. It is said with tongue and cheek. :)

I sandblasted mine and painted them with spray on bedliner. Looks good and very durable. Easy to touch up every year too.
dcc06c403723cd9a3f879c10990b343f.jpg
Only did the bottom, the top ones weren't rusted.

A little rust Sure is better than not starting or blown starter or the many other problems the kitty has had just my 2 cents.

I quite agree. My point was that nothing is perfect all the time. I will venture to say that even this model had issues when it was first introduced and they worked to fix it. That is how the development cycle works.

Could you not just spray over the paint with the bedliner

Usually, bedliner is sprayed over paint. Just the rust that has to be removed.

Back