• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Custom Front Bumper

nitris223

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha Nytro MTX
Here is a front bumper I made for the wife's nytro. She seen the one in the Yamaha accessory catalogue and said she wanted one. Well when I checked it out at the dealer they told me it won't work on a nytro if I have a plastic skid plate or I could modify it. At $220 cdn plus taxes that was the last thing I was doing. If I had to modify one , then I might as well build one. It is based off the Radical bumper but made to work with a plastic skid plate. Finished at 2 am this morning just in time for Christmas. The rattle can silver automotive
20141225_161415_zps1f2b618f.jpg
20141225_161423_zps5096e30a.jpg
paint I used is so close that I could hardly tell the difference with the Yamaha silver paint. If any one wants the paint can number I still have the lid.

Nice job on the bumper! You want to make one for me? Haha
Just so you know I had the yamaha bumper and massaged it to fit with the plastic skid plate. First time I pulled on the bumper I ripped it off the sled! Looked good but was only for looks IMO!

Nice job and hand made for the Wife. That has more value as you made it with your own hands. Good job!!

Pete

That's something to be proud of !!!

This one is made out of steel pipe .120 wall. Not supper strong on the very ends but solid as hell in the middle The bottom attachment point is 1/8" angle iron with a piece of 7/8 tube welded to that and slid inside the pipe , set the angle I wanted and both welded together. I have seen what some of the guys I ride with do when they are helping someone get un stuck and it blows my mind. One guy broke the powermadd hand guard off the wife's sled one time when he was trying to help her. I asked him what the hell he was thinking grabbing a piece of plastic and thinking you were going to have a good leverage point ,

It's not overly heavy but not as light as the factory bumper. I was a bit worried about how heavy it was going to be and I was surprised that it felt lighter then I thought.

Radianguy .... That is part of the reason why I built one instead of buying. If I had to modify it to fit then I could make it , and make it how and with what I want.

It all depends on how much time I have in the near future but I might build a few more and see if they will sell. I have to install a turbo kit on my sled, then build 4 sled lifts and repair a few other sleds. If the snow don't show up then I will likely have lots of time on my hands. I know I have to build one for a buddy , it will be based off the CRracing /Yamaha bumper with the hoop bar over top. See how long it takes . I have to do one for my sled but I have plans for a different twist in the looks. Something a little more personal.

Thanks for the complements guys, it's always nice to make something with my own hands and see the sparkle in someone's eye when they see it for the first time. They know they have something different from anyone else. No two would be alike because each one is made piece by piece with no jigs involved to make them perfect copies every time.

Last edited:
Nice job on the bumper! You want to make one for me? Haha
Just so you know I had the yamaha bumper and massaged it to fit with the plastic skid plate. First time I pulled on the bumper I ripped it off the sled! Looked good but was only for looks IMO!

Looks good!

That sucks, how Is it possible?? Defective??
I just added a used Skinz (from Hibshman) + fresh PC, it seems to be mounted pretty solid when I reefed on it & picked up 1/8 of the sled.
Mountaintech skid plate also.
image.jpg

That is similar to the one I have to build next. It will be a bit easier to build because the bottom tubes are square to the sled and not turned in towards the nose. That's what took the longest time to set right and balance the top bar to make sure every thing was lining up and even spacing on both sides. Biggest thing is finding someone to bend 1 1/4" pipe. My guy can only do 1" and then jumps to 1 5/8" which is to big. There is the slow way of doing a bunch of cuts and making the bend then re-weld the cuts but that turns into a lot of bodo work after with filler and sanding primer which I try not to use bondo if I didn't have to.

Yup good job bud looks fantastic, now to get some snow and test er out!!

One more just about done. Little more detail into this one. Usually get a stupid idea in my head and half way through I want to punch my self in the face for even thinking about it. To late to quit now.

That is similar to the one I have to build next. It will be a bit easier to build because the bottom tubes are square to the sled and not turned in towards the nose. That's what took the longest time to set right and balance the top bar to make sure every thing was lining up and even spacing on both sides. Biggest thing is finding someone to bend 1 1/4" pipe. My guy can only do 1" and then jumps to 1 5/8" which is to big. There is the slow way of doing a bunch of cuts and making the bend then re-weld the cuts but that turns into a lot of bodo work after with filler and sanding primer which I try not to use bondo if I didn't have to.

What about making a template, tack weld one end of the tube down, heating with a torch, then bending it?

What is the paint number? It sure does look really close to the actual color! Nice Job!!!

Back