• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dalton Springs

MyOutdoors

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder Ltx Se
I'm looking for new primary & secondary springs for my 20' LTX SE. I'm going to keep it stock for this short upcoming season in NH...nada for snow!

Running stock weights a helix. I've read some of MK's responses and just want to clarify if I'm going with the right Dalton springs.

Black/bronze primary
Black/orange secondary @ 80

I prefer lower/smoother engagement for tighter trails here and good backshift. I'm 260lb currently in the b-day suit. Thank you for the help!

Those springs will treat you well yes, although I don't understand why you'd want to switch them out on a low mileage machine if its stock and working well.

Those springs will treat you well yes, although I don't understand why you'd want to switch them out on a low mileage machine if its stock and working well.
The stock springs are known for breaking. I've seen about ten primary springs over the last few years and two secondary. One secondary was last year on a 2022 that was with us on a trip.

The stock springs are known for breaking. I've seen about ten primary springs over the last few years and two secondary. One secondary was last year on a 2022 that was with us on a trip.

Yes, I've heard that, but never seen it myself. Thats why I said a low mileage machine. I think some people must run them around a lot with the harmonics playing a part in the 4500-5000 RPM range when the harmonics are the worst for the primary clutch and breaking these springs.

All springs can break, I've had it happen at the worst time myself on my old drag sleds. We always had them in the cold down cart so we could swap out when it happened. It happens when the springs vibrate more at certain frequencies.

Thanks guys, my main concern was the coil binding I've been reading about, as well as some breaking. With such a short riding season coming up, I'm looking at it as preventive maintenance.

Yes, I've heard that, but never seen it myself. Thats why I said a low mileage machine. I think some people must run them around a lot with the harmonics playing a part in the 4500-5000 RPM range when the harmonics are the worst for the primary clutch and breaking these springs.

All springs can break, I've had it happen at the worst time myself on my old drag sleds. We always had them in the cold down cart so we could swap out when it happened. It happens when the springs vibrate more at certain frequencies.
The 2022 I mentioned with the secondary spring breaking was low miles. A broken spring won't leave you stranded, but it can be an annoyance.
I don't see any other reason to switch out aside from that and performance tuning.

The 2022 I mentioned with the secondary spring breaking was low miles. A broken spring won't leave you stranded, but it can be an annoyance.
I don't see any other reason to switch out aside from that and performance tuning.
I had a brand new Doo 1200 about 10 yrs ago that broke the primary under 500 miles on a trip. It wasn't the end of the world but left alot to be desired on that trip.

I prefer lower/smoother engagement for tighter trails here
I know they are expensive, but the 911 cover from Thunder allows you to dial in the clutch face to belt clearance. This allows the the engagement to be buttery smoooooooth, almost electric feeling. It also lowers the engagement.
I am not saying there is any other performance gains, but if you want super smooth engagement for road crossings, trailer loading, parking lot maneuvering and have the cash to spare, they are nice.....

I know they are expensive, but the 911 cover from Thunder allows you to dial in the clutch face to belt clearance. This allows the the engagement to be buttery smoooooooth, almost electric feeling. It also lowers the engagement.
I am not saying there is any other performance gains, but if you want super smooth engagement for road crossings, trailer loading, parking lot maneuvering and have the cash to spare, they are nice.....
This will be on the list for next year!

Dalton Black/Orange Secondary spring...all stock, no tune. What's a good place to start...3/3 or 6/2?

I feel the dalton springs are too high engagement and shift up fast, I went down to their red/black without much difference in engagement, I like the yamaha ppp spring with 2 glide washers, much lower engagement and smooth, I needed for tight trail riding and breaking trail with lake effect snow sometimes as much as 3' plus without trenching and getting stuck, the bl/or secondary works well.

I feel the dalton springs are too high engagement and shift up fast, I went down to their red/black without much difference in engagement, I like the yamaha ppp spring with 2 glide washers, much lower engagement and smooth, I needed for tight trail riding and breaking trail with lake effect snow sometimes as much as 3' plus without trenching and getting stuck, the bl/or secondary works well.
Plus you got the benefit of your set up is much easier on everything including clutches, rollers, helix belt, drivetrain, and track,/ studs . Smooth equals longevity.. The OEM clutching can be changed ( settings ) and adjusted to be spot on and once you get the power to the ground it will surprise the hell out of you…

Yeah, there's a few other good choices out there with a low start that aren't slinky's

Back