• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DID MY FIRST OIL CHANGE ON MY OWN

Wow, this post is from Dec. 2006...Remove hood, right & left side panels, right lower side panel, headlight pod, air box, battery and loosen and swing the battery bracket out of the way for access to filter. Be very carefull putting airbox back on, make sure boots are properly installed over throttle bodies! Pretty easy after first time, good luck.

Who cares if the thread is old. I say resurrect away!!!!!

Here's some Apex oil change help. God knows I needed help my first time changing the oil on the Apex!

This is awesome to explain the tear down to get to the oil filter:
http://www.ulmerracing.com/Complete.pdf

First Oil change:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=20884

How much oil to use:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=35597

or just read the stickies in the "Apex FAQ" section above or search for oil changes. There is a lot. It is confusing the first time. Just remember to drain both from the crank case and the reservior. Then change the filter and reassemble the sled. Then add 2 quarts to the reservior and start the sled up for a few minutes and shut her down. Then add about a quart and half again to the reservior. Then start her up again and idle for a few minutes. then shut her down again and put the sled on a level surface for a few minutes, then check the oil again. Just put the dipstick in without screwing it down. You want it in the range. A tad low is fine. Don't overfill lest you like an oily airbox.

Good luck!

I had trouble with the air box to throttle body boots at first. I found I can reach in thru the air box side of the boot grab the boot and push them onto the throttle bodies then tighten clamps.
Other then that it isn't too bad a job. Maybe the battery tray removal. I used a posters method of pulling the wire harness on the right side (while facing it) out of the way while lifting the tray out.

I have always used the OEM filter but others have used aftermarket filters without problems.

Once you have done this a few times it goes fairly quickly. Certainly not worth paying the dealer to do this unless you have zero mechanical skills.

04rxwarrior06 said:
No one mentioned what oil filters they used? OEM yamaha? Or how about fram or K&N? Any better then the other?

I use either Hi-Flo's or Car Quest Premium filters, both great filters and less than half price ;)!

I dont even bother with the filter any more. I changed it 3 times after getting my engine all fixed up and haven't changed it since. I'll follow Yammi's guidelines of changing the filter every 12K miles.

I do oil every year in the fall.

Well i used a WIX filter and mobile one.... i will let you guys know if it blows up. Always worked in the Rx1 but whoever had this sled before me obviously didnt change the oil often it looks like chocolate milk seriously..... kinda upset about it.

Kinger im glad you said that. Being that I just got my entire sled mostly together and realized I forgot to do the oil change...... Guesssss the filter will sit on the shelf till next time I tear the sled down.

I really like the k&n because it has the nut on it, but i change the filter every year and the getting the first filter off the sled was a challenge :o|

adrenaline junkey said:
I really like the k&n because it has the nut on it, but i change the filter every year and the getting the first filter off the sled was a challenge :o|

If the first filter change is tough to remove, then what is the best way or what tricks are needed?

Chester

:jump: :jump: :jump:

:letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow:

VectorLTX2012 said:
adrenaline junkey said:

If the first filter change is tough to remove, then what is the best way or what tricks are needed?

Chester

:jump: :jump: :jump:

:letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow:

well mine was on so tight i broke a wrench trying to get it off there was just no way it was moving I swear they used lock tight. I ended up crushing the filter with the next wrench and lastly ended up driving a screw driver threw it and taping it. let the dealer do the first change on my wife's phazer and he ran into the same thing. what complicates it so much as there isnt much room to get into them at all but once you have done it its no big deal no reason not to change the filter every time. a good set of long t handle wrenches is a must

Amen, last night LukeSJU from this site and I just changed the oil and filter on his wife's 2011 Apex SE. It was the first oil/filter change for the sled. And that filter was on there tight. I mean holy cow, really tight! I guess they have a really, really strong guy (read: sumo wrestler) installing those oil filters on these things over there in japan. But we got it off and had no problems after that and got it changed.

It's fun to see the subtle differences/refinements to the sleds from year to year on the Apex Yamaha has made, going from my 2007 Attak to my 2010 Apex MTX to her 2011 Apex SE. They are very similar sleds with many little refinements here and there. I know the upper cowling on the 2011 is a bigger pita to remove.

But I still maintain the worst/ larget pita part of an apex oil change is removing the battery tray.

Back