• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Disaster averted thanks to Big Iron

SumpBuster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 sidewinder; 06 Apex RTX
Inner chain tensioner roller screw loose, just started rubbing on case. 2100 miles, trouble free...but.....
2019-10-26 09.04.51.jpg

And thanks to all on the forum, and Rocker Dan's destroyed chaincase!! Putting in an oilite top bushing too. Other than that, it all looks good.
Dam Cats!!!lol

Good catch, I sure hope all members are opening up their cases this fall before riding, be it 0 miles or thousands of miles. I just did my buds Cat with 550 miles. Tack welded that sucker in seconds and its fixed for life. Also lets you change the lube, check upper gear bushing and adjust chain ect ect. All things these sleds need seasonally at min.

Dan

I had taken mine apart last season at maybe 1500km and used red Loctite, opened up yesterday and after an extra 4000km it was still all good. I will tack weld it now of course but I'm happy I didn't have an issue. This was on a 2017.

What about new? 2018 mtx with 38 miles! Was hoping I didn’t have to do this to next year..........

What about new? 2018 mtx with 38 miles! Was hoping I didn’t have to do this to next year..........
My bolt backed out last year on my 19 with low miles. It's in one of these threads somewhere.(pics)

Thanks I guess it would be unwise to not do it! Red lock tight enough or is a weld needed!

Thanks I guess it would be unwise to not do it! Red lock tight enough or is a weld needed!
I don't like to weld something like a bolt, because it seems 'butcherish', however, due to the fact that I think they should have used a pin with clips at each end instead of bolts, I feel like it is a design flaw. So I did like most others here and put some weld on it.

Here's the frustrating part....Big Irons 2017 needed tons of persuasion to get the screws out, they were loctited in so tight. Mine had ZERO loctite. He welded them both for me and polished an oilite top gear bushing! Now I can beat on it with confidence!! lol!

I don't like to weld something like a bolt, because it seems 'butcherish', however, due to the fact that I think they should have used a pin with clips at each end instead of bolts, I feel like it is a design flaw. So I did like most others here and put some weld on it.
There's nothing like a Cobb job that works!! lol! Butchers are people too!
And that top .875 (long, while the gear was .960...leaving .085" support on the table...) split bushing??? On a 15,000 dollar sled? Seriously, Cat? Take a page from Lexus....'relentless pursuit of perfection'. It's worth it in the long run.

There's nothing like a Cobb job that works!! lol! Butchers are people too!
And that top .875 (long, while the gear was .960...leaving .085" support on the table...) split bushing??? On a 15,000 dollar sled? Seriously, Cat? Take a page from Lexus....'relentless pursuit of perfection'. It's worth it in the long run.
We know with Dan's idea to weld them ensures they won't back out.

We know with Dan's idea to weld them ensures they won't back out.
True! I haven't had any issues with any of the yamaha chaincase tensioner and if I recall, it's just a pivoting block with a roller and bearing, directly adjusting the chain off the adjuster bolt...no spring loaded tensioner. Simpler.

Only can speak from my knowledge of some buddies in my local snowmobile club - the ones that cleaned the screws very well (acetone or similar, along with threads in the inner axle of the roller, and then used red loctite all told me in the last several weeks that all was good. Screws still locked in place, none had loosened. Probably 4-6 guys with Winders or Cats. So, IMO, if you likewise, it should be fine. However, IF you do have access to a welder, I think that's the ultimate final cure. No chance of ever loosening.
I do think you should go in there and take care of it, even with almost zero miles. There have been many examples of sleds with very few miles that had loose screws, or even some that fell out.

Dealer at sled show tonight(Cat dealer) sat there telling me this doesnt happen with cats, only yam...LOL. Told me its cause the gears are larger on Cats so they dont have the issue. I argued with him then just gave up....lol

If cats don't have the issue, i think its cause those assembly line workers bleed green and not blue...lol

Dan

Back