• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do I buy a 2014 or wait to snow check a 2015?

They didnt do very well at Duluth either. Honestly, how they are finishing in races doesnt concern me in the slightest. Those have just as much to do with the rider, and I dont plan on doing any XC racing, just going out and having fun!

AK rider always speaks the truth tho, and I'd be lying if I didnt say his comment about buying in haste didnt stick with me. I pondered if I was doing that all through dinner, and still kinda of am.

I hear ya , yes akrider does speak the truth and is right just about all the time I just don't thing yamaha is coming out with a new chassis ...it's the viper next year with different engine option .
Sell your sled this year and loose your azz or wait til next year and really loose your azz

I dont think it will be a new engine in this chassis for 4 years. According to Yamaha, there is a 3 year mid-term plan, and a 5 year overall plan. I would not be shocked at all to see BNG and a Viper MTN as the new sleds next year. Even if they do come out with a completely new sled, Im still thinking the Viper is the sled for me. Just need to have enough down to make it worth the payment, and need to determine if its now, or snow-check

cannondale27 said:
I was told the Viper didnt do well at the XC race because it was a ice race and they had a bad suspension setup. They forgot to lower them enough.

Good Luck with the sale Digital.
That is a preposterous statement. All of the Yamaha riders were there on the day before the race. I was there. Corey Davidson is the most experienced ice/lake racer currently running, perhaps ever. He tested a lot before he got there. He wouldn't "forget" to lower his sled enough. There was more snow, slush, and bigger berms than any of us who live in this area can ever remember for the first race of the year in addition to a ice groove with carbide grooves that made it feel like you were riding inside the railroad tracks. Visibility sucked until the pro final on Sun. They had 2 full days to fix their sleds after they got there. The performance over all really couldn't have been much worse.

Im in the same boat Digital except I asked a friend of he wanted my Apex and was shocked to hear him say yes. So I am sledless waiting to hear as much about these as possible before I pull the trigger. After riding the demo last year and two other Procrosses I will say even with the ZX2 you will forget about the chassis on your Apex in about 2 minutes. They ride amazing. Should be able to try a demo at my dealer next week and will decide after that.

Go ride one!! :sled1:

I don't think your resale is going to be that much different next year. After a certain amount of time depreciation starts leveling out somewhat and a buyer in the used market isn't going to care if the Apex is an '06 or '07 or '08, etc. They are going to be shopping the condition of the sled in that price range. The good thing is the Apex didn't change much over the years so they are all more comparable as opposed to say an '06/'07 Nytro versus an '08 and later Nytro.

If I were you I'd put your sled up for sale for the most optimistic price you'd ever hope to get for it. Then I'd do more research, ride as many Vipers as you can. Someone may come out of the woodwork and buy your sled for your asking price and then you can run out and buy a Viper.

Still, if Yamaha does follow that 5 year plan they talked about, I also see it using Cat sleds and I think there's got to be a really good chance of them dropping an Apex engine into it. I don't see how Cat can keep selling Suzuki 1100T's when they are dropping Suzuki? The Apex motor is a natural replacement for that segment. A naturally aspirated Apex/procross sled would also be very sweet!

im in the same boat, but opposite. I let one of my friends ride my sled last year and he was absolutely in love with it, and wanted to buy it that day. Of course, now that I am toying with selling, he just invested a bunch of money into expanding and moving his business, and cannot possibly spend an extra dime right now.

AKrider said:
If I were you I'd put your sled up for sale for the most optimistic price you'd ever hope to get for it. Then I do more research, ride as many Vipers as you can. Someone may come out of the woodwork and buy your sled for your asking price and then run out and but a Viper.

I put it up for 4900 obo on craiglists in Duluth and Minneapolis MN which is far far far from what I consider a painless sale price. I didnt get a single email on it. I've sold enough stuff on CL to know that if you dont get an email the first day, you have the wrong price or the wrong wording/pix in teh ad. Plus. only those types who are already on TY know what the mods I have into it are worth, and thats why I have three offers from here, but all lower than 4900.

A few years ago I had a friend who had a newer Triumph street bike. He liked the bike but wanted a new Yamaha sport touring bike. He resigned himself to not ordering the Yamaha until the Triumph sold for what he wanted. It took several months but the "right" guy finally saw the ad and called and bought it off him for the price he wanted. That guy wanted that particular model Triumph and knew what they were worth and was willing to pay for what he wanted. It all worked out perfect and everyone was happy. My buddy then rode his old 80's Honda Silverwing for several months until his new Yamaha showed up.

You've got a ton of money sunk into your Apex, don't give it away, just be patient and the right buyer will come along. Besides, if it does sell this winter you've still got your Phazer to ride. Parting a sled out is a pain in the #*$&@. You will be dealing with a whole different group of people who will nickel and dime you. Plus, once you sell the motor your essentially left with a worthless sled. It could take years to sell off all the parts. The skid, track and front end parts will be pretty easy to sell but the rest will be taking up space. Who wants to be tripping over a bulkhead and tunnel month after month, not to mention what a hassle it will be to store and move?

Another thing to consider if you have it priced too low people might think there is something wrong with it or it is stolen. CL is a weird place.

well AK, I took some of your advice. I really dont want to sell it with the skid, so I posted it up for sale with it for a price I could live with, and without it for a price I could live with... both being OBO.

Im really hoping that there is that perfect buyer out there who wants an apex, and either already has a skid they like, or wants to swap something in so I can sell it without the skid. Letting them drive it with it still in of course

Credit union approved my loan, but Im not pulling the trigger just yet. Either way, Im not doing anything unless the apex sells.

I think you made the right decision. If anything it will give you time to think about things, read more ride reviews and see how the Viper does as people put more and more miles on them. I don't see you not being able to find a Viper this spring. I thought the Nytro would be a hot seller back in '08 and they were still available brand new for years after that.

2lapsdown said:
cannondale27 said:
I was told the Viper didnt do well at the XC race because it was a ice race and they had a bad suspension setup. They forgot to lower them enough.

That is a preposterous statement. All of the Yamaha riders were there on the day before the race. I was there. Corey Davidson is the most experienced ice/lake racer currently running, perhaps ever. He tested a lot before he got there. He wouldn't "forget" to lower his sled enough. There was more snow, slush, and bigger berms than any of us who live in this area can ever remember for the first race of the year in addition to a ice groove with carbide grooves that made it feel like you were riding inside the railroad tracks. Visibility sucked until the pro final on Sun. They had 2 full days to fix their sleds after they got there. The performance over all really couldn't have been much worse.

So why did they do so poorly? I am just going by what a racer I know said and he won his class. I believe he said they had them way too high in the front.

Digital do you still plan to keep your Phazer?

cannondale27 said:

I do plan on keeping it. Im doing the stretch on it now, and if I could just find someone to buy the Apex without the skid, It'll even get the ZX2 (also extended). That reminds me that I need to update that thread with some pictures of the custom rear bumper & tunnel block off my buddies made for me today!

cannondale27 said:
2lapsdown said:
cannondale27 said:

So why did they do so poorly? I am just going by what a racer I know said and he won his class. I believe he said they had them way too high in the front.

I'm not sure what the problem was, had enough problems of our own to worry about! All I know is what I saw. Davidson has won more lake races than anyone and he looked OK. But having watched him for 20+ years on the Polaris, you could tell something wasn't right. He knows what he is doing as far as setup...not sure why it wasn't better. Lindbom and Piche were absolutely clueless. The biggest problem was the 50% DNF rate....on a lake race? The 7000's looked equally bad, but they were not running pro. Your friend had a very nice weekend! There really was no "ideal" setup for that track...everything was a compromise. It's a long season! I'm sure they will get better.

No question that they will get better. I read in another forum that some of the guys didn't even have 50 miles on those machines. If that's the case they weren't even close to being set up properly. Allot of the guys have been running same type of machines for years, you can't learn everything overnight. They will get better.

Back