• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Do white slides with no dye last longer??

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
Kimpex has a write up on how white slides last longer. I was curious if anyone has experience with running plain white slides. See attachment for the Kimpex write up. I may do some testing on a set this season.

Attachments

• white slides.pdf
    77 KB · Views: 98

I have not seen any Yamaha sleds with white sliders, must be something new.

The theory behind their claim makes sense. Back in the late 70's & early 80's all we had was white sliders and they would last years without added bogie wheels. I have always believed though that the rapid wear on our newer sleds was related to a few other changes in sled design. Old sleds had 1/2" lugs which kept the sliders closer to the snow and cooler. liquid cooling with heat exchangers in the tunnel created new problems for sliders by melting snow into water on warmer days or creating ice blocks on really cold days thus not really lubricating the sliders. Also liquid cooled sleds tend to be heavier putting more presure on the slides. Then the sleds got more suspension travel wich in turn added more preasure again. I believe that color may have a part in all this but i don't think it is going to make a big difference. I have made my own sliders by buying plastic from an industial plastics supplier. The white is the cheapest to buy, the high wear resistant slide material is colored and comes in blue only. In my experience (using both materials) life span between the two on my 05 Vector was about the same.

between my brothers and I, we have found it is all in the set-up of the skid for slider wear. closed every 3rd is actually harder on the slides for our riding. I have run kimpex and Yamaha slides and not really noticed any difference in how long they last. the 5.30-5.35 wheels do help with excessive wear but the stock wheels did the job. I just prefer the slydog real cools as I find they get more snow/lube to the sliders.

on my old 05 war, I tried it 1st with factory settings. plastic did not make 500km before it was melted through at the bend. added marginal snow wheels and still was wearing too fast for my taste as I was riding in 4-6" of fresh snow at the time. I set the springs and limiters and proceeded to get over 5000km on the next set of plastic before I melted them ice fishing in the spring. the next set made another 5000km before we lost a wheel on a ty ride and had to run stockers witch finished off that set of plastic in 2013 at jan ty ride. have over 5000km on the current set and they are no where near ready for replacement yet.

on my 2011 apex, I made 2500 km on the stock plastic before my ice fishing trip wore through that seat at the tip up on the rear. put the real cools on and a pair of kimpex 5.30 Yamaha wheels and the slider plastic has 3500km this season with lots left for next season. I did set the suspension on the apex before I rode it though.

I went to the Kimpex factory in Drummodville Quebec about 10 years ago when they were testing the white sliders. The dye they put in the sliders to make them black, is what causes them to burn up. Natural colour of plastic is white/

I have the yamaha white sliders on my sled.....3,500 miles last winter and they didn't move(mind you I also have bigger OD wheels- but had black sliders last year with the same wheels and they didn't last the season)

you look at any new polaris and they all have white sliders....

Back