• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft bearing

It depends on your dealer. It is technically a wear item, but depending on miles, if your dealer goes to bat for you he should be able to get it covered. Didn't you feel the thing going? Your left foot must have been vibrating pretty bad. You can grease those bearings without a zerk. Just take off the bearing retainer and sensor mount plate and loosen the allen screws on the track side of the tunnel. The bearing should slide right off the shaft. Then either pop out the seal or use a needle tip on a grease gun. It is better to pop the seal because there is usually water in there. IMO, I would pull that bearing out when the sled is new and toss it. Buy a good NTN or something. Sourcing quality bearings and ball joints has never been Yamaha's strong suit.

john_the_fisherman said:
It depends on your dealer. It is technically a wear item, but depending on miles, if your dealer goes to bat for you he should be able to get it covered. Didn't you feel the thing going? Your left foot must have been vibrating pretty bad. You can grease those bearings without a zerk. Just take off the bearing retainer and sensor mount plate and loosen the allen screws on the track side of the tunnel. The bearing should slide right off the shaft. Then either pop out the seal or use a needle tip on a grease gun. It is better to pop the seal because there is usually water in there. IMO, I would pull that bearing out when the sled is new and toss it. Buy a good NTN or something. Sourcing quality bearings and ball joints has never been Yamaha's strong suit.

Never heard it till it went. Was 3 miles from home and had gone close to 200 miles that day. I guess I was lucky. I had heard about the famous Yamaha bearings from a friend of mine. He pops the seal right when the bearing is in place and greases them. I can't understand how Yamaha can do an engine so good, yet mess up on the simple stuff. I have some Polaris old junkers who have never lost a bearing and are 15yrs old.

Not that big of a deal to change on an RX1. If the bearing is seized on the shaft - you may have to open the chaincase and push the shaft through to the left side a bit. Then you can get a puller on the bearing to get it off.

Remember to remove the Torx screws from the bearing under the tunnel.

just replaced mine yesterday,read so much about it here that i just decided to change as preventive maintenance,cost me $12,my sled has 10 000 miles and that bearing is spinning very smoothly still,but now i wont have to worry about it,by the way,the bearing brand is ''england'',had never heard of them before

Yeah, it is really odd that Yamaha can't source the simple stuff! The boogie wheels, bearings, tie-rod ends, and ball joints all need to be better and that goes for their four wheelers too! Polaris actually has always used great bearings. Timkens, NTNs, whatever the top of the line is. In fact, I have an outer "extra wheel kit" from a Gen II Polaris skid that I ended up with (somehow?) and I've had it on two separate skids and I've never replace a bearing w/ probably 10000+ miles. What really irritates me is if I was dumb enough to order replacement bearings from Yamaha I'd pay about twice as much as going to the bearing shop and getting the top of the line to start with. If you get this warranted by your dealer, I would get bearings from a shop, not from Yamaha. Your dealer will actually make more money on the claim because he's receive credit for Yamaha p/ns and if they call the parts back, Yamaha will get the Yamaha bearings back.

QCRider said:
The way you know you've smoked the bearing is when the Speedo stops working. I have done it on a couple of Arctic Cats. By the time this happens the bearing has already seized and is wearing into the outer race.

This wouldn't be true on a Yamaha 4-stroke would it?

They do not use a cable-driven speedo.

I think it would. The reason the speed stopped on the Cat was that the gear disengaged. The gear disengages because the drive shaft moves away from the speedo cable. In a Yamaha 4 Stroke, I would assume that a very similar thing would occur. It really has nothing to do with the cable drive, but everything to do with the pick up.

Back