• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Drive shaft bearing

After the bearing goes out the speedo starts jumping around, if you keep riding all the bearings come out of the seal and the shaft moves back 1/2 inch and the speedo gear on the end of the shaft eats up your sensor. If Yami would have mounted the sensor on the top, bottom, or in front of this shaft, it wouldn't cost 100.00 everytime this bearing goes out. If I am 20 miles from home in the middle of the woods and i can still ride it back I am going to.

xcsp said:
QCRider said:
The way you know you've smoked the bearing is when the Speedo stops working. I have done it on a couple of Arctic Cats. By the time this happens the bearing has already seized and is wearing into the outer race.

This wouldn't be true on a Yamaha 4-stroke would it?

They do not use a cable-driven speedo.

It would. It doesn't have a cable, but as the next reader posts the driveshaft goes back and breaks the sensor. What is worse yet is that w/o the speedo pickup working the engine check light comes on and it throws a code 42 (which I believe has something to do with the TORS). Engine goes into limb home mode and will not take the trottle. I finally got it to run at low speeds and crawled home. The japs outsmarted themselves here! Cheap bearing=failed speed sensor=false engine code= frustrated owner and $10 bearing results in much more expensive fix. Now I am worried about the jackshaft bearing above it. Much harder to install than lower bearing. Yamaha - I will pay the extra to get a decent bearing in there. I bet they wouldn't use something that cheap on their engine! another cheap several hundred dollar

Snakebit said:
I swapped out the bearings on both sides when I replaced my track a few weeks ago.

Cheap insurance.
When you pay close to 10 grand for a sled you shouldn't have to worry about bearings every year, I know they are not that hard to change but come on Yamaha! Give us grease fittings! My buddies F-7 has them, it's the 21st century for crying out loud!

Thanks for the info on what happens when the bearing goes bad-I wasn't sure if the speedo sensor would work or not at that point.

I still do not understand why Yamaha doesn't design this bearing to be greasable like the other manufacturers, other than selling more parts.

I know it's not difficult to clean & repack the bearing, but it is time-consuming and inconvenient during the riding season especially if you put alot of miles on.

I have replaced many more of my other sleds' greasable bearings than I have in my RX-1. (I have replaced one RX-1 Bearing, as a preventative measure and have since just repacked the one I put in.) The Yamaha bearing is at least sealed, and I personally feel they last a lot longer than the greasable ones that seem to rust up every summer.

Back