• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Electrical short

sbot69

Veteran
'14 LTX SE. Ran all day Friday. Saturday dead battery. Jumped, ran but no taillight or instrument cluster. Also melted ground wire going from battery down left side of sled all the way to steering column. Jumped bad wire. Won't start, jumped wire gets very very hot. Talked to Bill NoWay from Facebook said to look at wires from starter. How do you get to starter and where is it. Thanks

Does the starter turn over the engine?

It did when I jumped it. After it stated I had no taillight or instrument cluster. Found blown fuse for taillight, replaced. Now won't turn over and ground getting very hot and jumping when trying to start. Bill Noway thought to start with wired going to starter. Not sure how to get to it or where it's at

You can get to the starter through the bottom plate that accesses the oil filter. It almost sounds like you had a starter relay failure that kept the starter engaged while running. The relay is located at the battery and might have fused it's contacts together. I'd check the relay for proper operations. Also check all ground termination and make sure they are tight.

The wire going to the starter is a positive feed that gets it's power only when the starter relay is engaged. The ground to the starter is provided through the engine block and the large battery ground wire is attached to the block just behind the starter. If you look between the two clutches you can see the wires and the end of the starter. After checking starter connections check the starter operation by jumping across the two large terminals on the relay to see if it will roll. The magnets in the starter may have come loose and locked up the starter.

Last edited:
Going to get started later today. Will post what I find as I go along. This is my second starter. First one went first day after buying it Feb of '14. Thanks for all your time grizztracks.

Think I found my problem...Main ground cable going from battery (6 ga.) to front of machine is disconnected. Found nut in belly too. Where does it attach? Thanks again for everyone's help?

Without that wire the current will travel through the smaller ground and overload it. The main battery ground attaches to the motor near the starter.

I just checked and it should be under one of the starter mounting bolts.

A lot of reports of loose bolts on these Vipers. Beer sales must be good in Thief River Falls

drunk mode.jpg

Back