• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

"Engine Saver" kits. Coolant Loss Detection & Incremental Overheat Lights

I didn't think of the sloshing around that would cause that. A fully submerged unit would work. So does this mean you're doing both a low coolant level and temperature activated warning? Separate or together?

At this point I think I am going to just offer it as a low coolant detector with the option to add a temperature activated warning if customer wants it.

I'm looking into activating the Tors system or reverse beeper for the high temperature warning. Anyone have any thoughts on this idea.

I'd be afraid of adding TORS as it could activate at a possibly dangerous time. Just think about the GM vehicles that were shutting down and crashing. I think the buzzer is enough and loud enough to catch your attention.

For the low level warning, how about a flashing LED like this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/free..._id=ae_pay_low_mail_template_en_US_2014-07-16

or will you also hook it up to the buzzer?

I'm a bit hesitant on utilizing TORS myself. If someone was crossing a road or something and it activated it wouldn't be a good thing!

The low level will actually activate lights on the instrument cluster. On a fuel Injected sled It will turn on the red cold temperature light, flash the yellow caution light, and display error code 21 on cluster.

I've decided against having high temp and low coolant using the same alert. They will each have there own distinct way of alerting rider so there's no pondering whether the sled lost coolant or is extremely hot.

I like the way you are working this out. It sounds like it will be a good product when your done. I think the low coolant warning is the most important thing. Then you know you have to pull over before something goes bad. The temp warning light will not come on if the coolant is low, so to me that's the most important thing. Keep up the good work, I'm interested in the final product. It sounds like really good insurance against engine damage.

Making some good progress on the product.

Got a supplier that is able to supply me with plugs to match up with the harness, so the engine saver will be a plug and play kit with no splicing of wires necessary.

Kit will be available for all the different platforms...RX/Vector/Apex, Nytro, & Phazer.

Installation will essentially be just like installing a temp gauge fitting in the coolant line.

I had a discussion with my local dealer concerning temperatures, and they were in agreement as well that 210 is a very conservative overheat light. Taking into account those that posted in my poll, I have decided to use a temp of 240 for the secondary overheat warning. Custom temps will be available as a special order and delivery will depend on my supplier. Right now they say approximately 3 weeks.

That sounds great with it being basically just a plug in installation. When you get it finalized and have it ready to sell I'll be very interested.

Looks good. Two comments. You should have a "this end up" arrow and I would hope that the switch end will be on the bottom side as the other way will just trap air.

The canister will get mounted as shown so it self bleeds. Its a very easy install on the apex/rx/vector chassis.

The nytro chassis is a little more involved to install. I am going to have to use a 90 degree elbow on the inlet of the canister and I will have to supply a different hoses.

On the phazer chassis I have not come up with a viable place to mount the canister. The canister has to be mounted at a point higher than the top of the front heat exchanger to be most effective, and I'm not sure if it is feasible yet. There's just no room in that phazer!

My plugs arrived so I crimped a set onto my prototype. They match up exactly. One plug fits onto the temp sensor and the other plugs into the harness.

End caps are being laser cut, and once they are here we will start production on the units for the Apex/Vector/RX sleds.

I am finalizing how I am going to market the product. I think the base level engine saver will just detect coolant loss. There will be an option to add a high temp warning which will activate the reverse beeper. I will stock sensors that activate the beeper at 240. If customer desires a different temperature I can get a different sensor but there will be a 3 week lead time from my supplier.

Going to have to make some changes to incorporate this into the phazer or nytro sleds. There are nice straight runs where this could be installed on both the Nytro and Phazer, but the location is lower than the top of the front heat exchanger. The sensor must be mounted higher than the exchangers to be most effective in detecting coolant loss.

At this point looks like $115 for base model engine saver with coolant loss detection. For an engine saver with the 240 degree audible temp alarm looking at an additional $45.

Looking good and good concept. Just a thought though, wouldn't be possible to find a plastics company to produce that same "tank" at a lesser cost? I'm sure it could be done and would lower the cost.

Back