• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

"Engine Saver" kits. Coolant Loss Detection & Incremental Overheat Lights

I have a question. How will the low coolant level sensor warn or tell you that the coolant is low ? I'm sorry if you already posted this, but I read a few posts back and I didn't see it.

Looking good and good concept. Just a thought though, wouldn't be possible to find a plastics company to produce that same "tank" at a lesser cost? I'm sure it could be done and would lower the cost.

My background is metals as I grew up in my father's welding shop so naturally its what I turn to. Plastics may be something to consider. The float switches I am using get installed inside and then we seal it off. I doubt the switch could be installed inside a plastic tank during the molding process. A plastic tank would almost have to have an access port molded into it with a plug/cap which may make the tank larger and more bulky. Definitely something to look into.

I have a question. How will the low coolant level sensor warn or tell you that the coolant is low ? I'm sorry if you already posted this, but I read a few posts back and I didn't see it.

I see you ride an RX Warrior. On your particular sled the red temperature cold start light will light up. Typically this light will only be lit when the sled is started up cold and then goes out when engine warms up. If you are out riding and the red temperature light comes on again it indicates that coolant level has dropped below the temp sensor and there is likely a leak in a heat exchanger.

I see you ride an RX Warrior. On your particular sled the red temperature cold start light will light up. Typically this light will only be lit when the sled is started up cold and then goes out when engine warms up. If you are out riding and the red temperature light comes on again it indicates that coolant level has dropped below the temp sensor and there is likely a leak in a heat exchanger.

Okay that sounds like a good simple set up. Keep up the good work :Rockon:

Ok...we have decided to just go with one variation of engine saver at a price of $125. I've updated my first post, but here are the highlights.

Fits all Apex, Vector, Rage, Attak, RX-1, & Venture

· Warns operator if engine coolant is lost

· Generates audible alarm if coolant temperature reaches 240 degrees F.

· Kit is Plug and Play with quick connections. No soldering and cutting wires

· Utilizes factory equipment to alarm operator. No mounting of lights & buzzers required.

Similar to what we did on the bulkhead savers, we are offering a TY discount to promote this product. All TY members can now purchase engine saver for $100 plus shipping. We will also donate $5 back to TY for each kit sold during the promotion! ;)! Contact me to place an order.

I think I may be able to get one of those kits after all. Its not very often when I end up having more money than I thought I would. Are they ready to ship ? If they are I may be placing an order in a couple weeks .

Anything for a Nytro? also wouldn't an easier method be to just have a pressure gauge. If the cooling system gets a leak, there should be no pressure in the system

We have actually put the release on hold. Had a few finished units assembled only to find that sensors we are using leak during a pressure test. With service work rolling in and parts inquiries picking up the r&d time is limited right now.

The problem with the pressure monitoring is that the system has no pressure when the engine is cold. If there is an alarm for low pressure it would activate upon start up.

Here's an update on the status of the project.

We began production on the engine savers and when we began pressure testing units we found that the coolant level sensors we were using had an internal leak. Due to this we will not be offering the engine saver as discussed through out this thread.

We have proven components available to provide the 240 degree audible alarm so at this point we are going to release Engine Saver I. Once we come up with suitable components for monitoring coolant level we will release an Engine Saver II.

Here are the details for Engine Saver I

- Provides a secondary temperature overheat warning. If operator fails to notice the temperature warning light on the dash which comes on at 210 degrees, engine saver will provide an audible alarm at 240 degrees by activating the reverse beeper.

- Eliminates the uncertainty of just how hot the machine is. When an operator discovers that the temperature light is on often times the first thought is " how long was the light on?" With Engine Saver I installed operators will now know they are between 210 and 240 if the overheat light is on and there is no audible alarm.

- No soldering or cutting wires. There are only two wires associated with Engine Saver I. They get tied into the machine with the use of quick splice wire connectors that are included with the kit.

- The Engine Saver I sensor is mounted in a beaded aluminum coolant hose fitting. This gets spliced into a coolant hose as if one was installing a digital temperature gauge sensor. Hose clamps are included.

- Sell price for the kit is $80. Very cheap insurance for these 4 stroke motors!

Why 240 degrees??? The factory temperature overheat light comes on at around 210 F which in automotive world is normal operating temperature Due to this BOP and many others feel 210 F is premature and conservative for an overheat light. The 4 cylinder motors are derived from Yamaha's sportbike R1 motors so we researched the temp warnings Yamaha uses on the bikes. We found that they implement a two stage warning system. On a 2006 Yamaha R1 sportbike the first stage warning for high coolant temperature activates at 243 F. The second stage warning for excessively high coolant temperature activates at 289 F.

I have never failed to notice the bright yellow indicator light on my display even in bright sunlight. I think that most people would be much more likely to not hear the beeper while riding than to not notice the indicator light. I added a digital temp gauge so that I can see the actual temp of the coolant. IMO Yamaha should have incorporated a coolant temp function in the display. I also agree that the indicator light comes on too early.

I think that your low coolant sensor is a much more useful product. My fear has always been that if I had a loss of coolant that the temp sender would not read accurately without being in contact with the coolant.

My sentiments too. In case of a catastrophic coolant loss, that sensor won't get anything to read off of, especially if it's getting it from a hose.

We have a new idea for sensing coolant loss and will be doing some more testing this winter.

I have had some positive response to the audible alarm. Several customer have commented on how they often wander how long the temp light has been on once they see that it is illuminated.

Back