• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EPS retrofit

EPS is not 27 lbs and for those saying geez i wont buy or ride one because ive been doing this for years. (or since 06 when the apex came out). Until you experience it you cant say anything, ive rode alot since 06 and Ill tell you last season was my favorite year to ride. Sled had way more power towards the end of the season when it finally broke in and finally the EPS made it steer lighter than my 97 Polaris XLT and Im not exagerating.

It worked well on the grizzly when it came out and it works well on the apex so its a no brainer. Yamaha cant shed the pounds so this is the next best thing. I see already Bombardier has already fitted Can-Ams with power steering and the people I ride with that own them said I didnt believe it till I experienced it.

yamahahaapex said:
EPS is not 27 lbs and for those saying geez i wont buy or ride one because ive been doing this for years. (or since 06 when the apex came out). Until you experience it you cant say anything, ive rode alot since 06 and Ill tell you last season was my favorite year to ride. Sled had way more power towards the end of the season when it finally broke in and finally the EPS made it steer lighter than my 97 Polaris XLT and Im not exagerating.

It worked well on the grizzly when it came out and it works well on the apex so its a no brainer. Yamaha cant shed the pounds so this is the next best thing. I see already Bombardier has already fitted Can-Ams with power steering and the people I ride with that own them said I didnt believe it till I experienced it.
Eps is not new on can-ams,if you buy the right model,what they did for 2012 is add an extra setting,instead of min and max,it now has three settings.

Fairly unreliable source, but I heard that Alpine retrofitted EPS on a Nytro.

mnmsnowbeast said:
yamahahaapex said:

Eps is not new on can-ams,if you buy the right model,what they did for 2012 is add an extra setting,instead of min and max,it now has three settings.

Yeah I know that, Ive been riding with Can-ams for almost 3 years now. Not new, yes, but came out shortly after Yamaha started on it. Didnt think I had to elaborate on eps on canams...

From the Edmonton sled show.....

Attachments

• PA220124.JPG
    PA220124.JPG
    457.4 KB · Views: 144
  • PA220125.JPG
    PA220125.JPG
    441.7 KB · Views: 161
  • PA220123.JPG
    PA220123.JPG
    435.9 KB · Views: 181
Now watch the Apex owners move their steering motors up front to take the stress off the steering linkage and make room for the still too small original fuel tank.

Hey, if some after market company can build something, that's be great. Heck, I'd be interested!

My point was I don't think it will be Yamaha that would offer one. They have huge incentive to not build a retrofit kit as they'd rather sell you a new sled if you want eps.

But I think eps would be a great offering from some after market company for any of our sleds. I know it works from riding atv's.

Super Sled said:
I'd be nice if they could but I don't see how they would. That EPS sytme is huge, weighs like 27 pounds, and would take up a lot of space. Just don't see how any company would make one fit. And Yamaha has a great reason to not want a retro kit ever built -- they want you to buy a new Apex.

Or they want you to buy a new Vector.

Chester

:jump:

I just put power steering on my Commander 1000 and it was not all that difficult. I don't see why someone couldn't do it if they wanted to personally. IMO though when I owned an apex I didn't find it all that hard to steer in the first place.

Although people say their machines were not hard to steer to begin with is bull. I used to think my 97 xlt was a dream to steer and ride along the trails all day compared to my 07 attak. Now the '11 is feels even lighter than the xlt. As a person that rides alot of trails to get from one point to another its a huge difference. The nice thing about it too is when it comes to riding rough fields or hitting hard drifts you feel alot more confident as the initial jolt on contact is greatly reduced on the driver. Ride one with powersteering and just try to go back to one without it, you wont

Im not trying to sell this feature but after putting up with heavy steering for over 5 yrs this was well worth it, it helps put a bandaid on the weight and it gives you the illuision of driving a lightweight sled lol

I for one wouldnt want eps because of no rider feedback, I belive that is an important part of riding, and I belive you will never get your front suspension set up for the best ride without that feedback in the handle bars.

Sleddog has met me and ridden with me. I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs. When I bought my 11 apex XTX it WASN'T for the EPS. 1st ride of the yr., 1st ride on the new sled. 260+ miles of enjoyment. Ride 1 and make your decision. It took 2 corners to adjust to it and became transparent. Until the end of the day LOL! No aches or pains from my hands to my back. Truly something you need to experience to understand.

Back