• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

EVOL upgrade for Fox Float 3

4StrokeAddict

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 SR Viper LTX SE
All,

I'm considering a FOX Float 3 EVOL upgrade for my 2015 LTX SE. I see some of you listed them in your BIOs. Have any of you bought and installed these upgrade kits or did you just buy the complete shock? Are there any special tools or knowledge to possess when doing this? I'm mostly a trail rider and avoid rough trails. Due to back issues, I'm looking for the best ride I can get at an affordable price for when you can't avoid that bad trail. Is it worth the ~$300 for the upgrade kit?

I added the EVOL kit to the Floats on my Nytro a few years back. If there was any improvement it was marginal and probably not worth the $300. The install was relatively easy but you need a clamp to hold the shaft of the shock in order to replace the shock caps with the EVOL caps. If I did it again I'd go with the Dual Pressure kit from Hygear which works the same and installs much easier.
http://www.hygearsuspension.com/DualPressure_Kit.php

I bought the Evol upgrade for my Phazer and my Viper. I sent my shocks to Fox and had them do the upgrade. I thought it was a significant improvement in bigger bumps. However if you typically don't ride the rough stuff I'm not sure it would be worth the investment.

I thought the EVOL kit would allow me to soften up my shocks without sacrificing ski lift, push, roll and general control. Am I wrong?

The Evols do have more adjustability on preload. The separate air chambers allow you to tune ski pressure and roll independently of high speed bottoming. It just sounded like you were looking for more plushness. That would be controlled mostly by valving and the Evol kit doesn't change valving.

FLOAT 3 EVOL
Overview
Take your riding to the next level of performance and adjustability with the Factory Series FLOAT 3 EVOL. The spring rates can easily be adjusted externally in the main chamber for your riding style and terrain. Fine-tune your plushness independent of your bottom-out resistance and roll stiffness with the EVOL chamber.

The application-specific calibration will soak up even the hardest terrain for all types of riding styles. Fine-tune the "inside ski lift" for your trail sled, and set your tip over and turning capability for your mountain sled or crossover. Stiffen it up for the trail ride, and soften it to ease into those powder turns, all with a few simple external adjustments made by hand.

With the original Floats that came on my Nytro I found them to be stiff and bottoming wasn't an issue. I had Pioneer revalve them which was a more significant improvement than when I added the EVOL kit. From past experience I've found that proper air pressure and valving to be the best way to optimize the Float's performance. Like I said, I didn't think they made enough improvement on my Nytro to justify the money spent but on a lighter sled like the Phazer maybe it's a more noticeable change especially if there has been no prior change in valving. So far I've found the Float 3's on the Viper to be significantly better than the revalved EVOL Float's on my Nytro but this may not be a fair shock comparison because in general the Viper's front geometry is better.

I'm not sure how much better the Viper can be with modifications to the Floats but I know there's a lot of guys out their that prefer the ride and performance they get out of coil over front shocks. Before you spend the money give Hygear a call and explain what you are trying to achieve then with proper guidance make a decision on what's best for you..

Back