• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Excessive primary clutch rattle

That makes sense. However, there should be a remedy for the rattling from Yamaha (or at least something to reduce it) with this type of design.
a rubber damper of some sort , built into the stub shaft ?

a rubber damper of some sort , built into the stub shaft ?

Sure..something to dampen the rattle of Metal on Metal. It probably doesn't shorten the life at all rattling(I would think Yamaha has done extensive testing on this set up and wouldn't put a clutch set up out there that isn't reliable), but nobody wants to hear a Cheap rattle sound, when they paid big coin for a product. Yamaha is better than this..I hope they can come up with a fix or something to improve it somewhat.

its the nature of the beast learn to live with there is no fix for it
I hope your wrong. I am not prepared to live with it and if I cannot get rid of the noise I will have to drive a different brand which is brutal because I do like my VK but not willing to drive a rattle box. Sure hope Yamaha is listening!!

I hope your wrong. I am not prepared to live with it and if I cannot get rid of the noise I will have to drive a different brand which is brutal because I do like my VK but not willing to drive a rattle box. Sure hope Yamaha is listening!!

the rattle is not a issue it just annoying more then anything else ... other 4 stroke brand have their own mechanical issue the 1200 doo primary clutch is junk ! it rattle and hammer to the point you cant keep bushing in them you need to be replace it with the p80 the make it reliable ....1100 cat clutch wont stay aligned under hard acceleration they get so hot from the lack of air flow under the hood and belt friction your lucky to get 2000 km out of your 300$ belt ... the yamaha clutch rattle yeah its anoying but its reliable their design is proven if its aint broken dont fix it ! the grass ain't greener on the outside of the fence

Last edited:
the rattle is not a issue it just annoying more then anything else ... other 4 stroke brand have their own mechanical issue the 1200 doo primary clutch is junk ! it rattle and hammer to the point you cant keep bushing in them you need to be replace it with the p80 the make it reliable ....1100 cat clutch wont stay aligned under hard acceleration they get so hot from the lack of air flow under the hood and belt friction your lucky to get 2000 km out of your 300$ belt ... the yamaha clutch rattle yeah its anoying but its reliable their design is proven if its aint broken dont fix it ! the grass ain't greener on the outside of the fence
I really like the simplicity of the pb80 I ran on my modded 1200.....So this begs the question. Anyone ever try or consider trying a pb80 on a SW? Wonder how it would work? Wonder how it would hold up to 270hp? I know lots of 1200 guys with Stage 1 turbos run the Pb80 on their 240 "ish" HP Doo turbos.

Maybe Knapp will chime in here, he would have some good input.

Dan

Cvtech site only goes up to 2015....but they do have a pb80 for viper models, maybe same for SW?

Would be an interesting experiment....there are literally no moving parts that wear on a PB 80, and they are the only clutch that stands up to the harmonics of the 1200 doo.
PB80 Viper.jpg

PB80 Viper2.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the simplicity of the pb80 I ran on my modded 1200.....So this begs the question. Anyone ever try or consider trying a pb80 on a SW? Wonder how it would work? Wonder how it would hold up to 270hp? I know lots of 1200 guys with Stage 1 turbos run the Pb80 on their 240 "ish" HP Doo turbos.

Maybe Knapp will chime in here, he would have some good input.

Dan
some guy are have tryed the pb80 on the nytro wich use the same stub shaft as the sidewinder and they notice a big difference the rattle almost got away buddy of my swap the doo tra for the pb80 and woow its smooth and light weight i would give this a try if the rattle drove me nuts !!

some guy are have tryed the pb80 on the nytro wich use the same stub shaft as the sidewinder and they notice a big difference the rattle almost got away buddy of my swap the doo tra for the pb80 and woow its smooth and light weight i would give this a try if the rattle drove me nuts !!
I find this interesting, and for a guy like me who likes to test....would be something Id consider. I found that when tuning my 1200 pb80 was easy, since there is only spring and weight to change. And the price sure is not bad.

Dan

I find this interesting, and for a guy like me who likes to test....would be something Id consider. I found that when tuning my 1200 pb80 was easy, since there is only spring and weight to change. And the price sure is not bad.

Dan

price went down by 10% this year you can find one between 400-450$ and yes they are easy tu tune!! i wont be replacing busing in my stock clutch when time come il go for the pb80

I wonder if anyone has had their clutch spun balanced to see if the rattle goes away. I had a clutch balanced on a Blade with a 800 Polaris motor and it was the smoothest Polaris 800 I had ever driven. It still sucks gas and oil and makes no power ....but its smooth!!!!!!

my theory is at idle the belt is stationary there a slight tension holding the clutch backward that what make the spline between the sub shaft and the crank rattle its pretty similar to a impact gun spinning freely with no resistance the hammer is quiet its resting on one side of the spline but soon as there a risistance the contact goes back and forth between spline making the infamous yamaha stub shaft rattle i notice the pb80 clutch as almost no friction between the primary and the belt at idle and the fact she way lighter probably help with the rattling

my theory is at idle the belt is stationary there a slight tension holding the clutch backward that what make the spline between the sub shaft and the crank rattle its pretty similar to a impact gun spinning freely with no resistance the hammer is quiet its resting on one side of the spline but soon as there a risistance the contact goes back and forth between spline making the infamous yamaha stub shaft rattle i notice the pb80 clutch as almost no friction between the primary and the belt at idle and the fact she way lighter probably help with the rattling
That would mean that if you adjust belttension to high (tight) the rattle increases?

So much wyning on the winder! Man, I love my winder! No disrespect intended!

there no such adjustments the distance between both clutch is set by the motor mounts all you can adjust is the offset by shimming the secondary

So much wyning on the winder! Man, I love my winder! No disrespect intended!

hey dont get me wrong my nytro rattle and i dont really pay attention to it anymore works great never had a issue its just the nature of the beast ! i love that motor !!

Last edited:

Back