• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Donuts & Y Pipes....Step by step

Stainless Steel Y-Pipes are now available from Yamaha for use when replacing damaged titanium pipes found on the Apex/Attak models. The Stainless Y-Pipes will retail for $91.49 and we have them in stock. The part numbers are 8FP-14610-10-00 for the right side and 8FP-14620-10-00 for the left side. Be sure to give us a call at 1-866-4YAMAHA if you need to get some as they currently are not available through our website.[/b]

not sure about canada but check out this thread..
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

Dan

Still waiting on mine to be fixed under warranty. Dealer told me Y-pipe is on backorder, best case is another week.

Does anybody know why the exhaust donuts go bad, is this a reoccurance, I only have 3300 mile on my 06 Apex GT, I just replaced them hopefully thats it.

bigwhite - the exhaust moves and the donuts are squeezed in between the Y-pipes and the exhaust header pipes, over time they wear out, some sooner and some later depending on riding conditions. Rough trails will kill them faster than flat groomed trails IMO.

BTW - please add your location in your user profile, it's a site requirement.

Sounded loud

Rode across the UP from St Ignace to Houghton and back. Sounded louder and lounder and back firing on decel. Got back home and disassembled and found these. The pipes were all good. They had worn so much the clamps were spinning.

If you look at the pic with the the pipes still attached you can see that the gasket is missing from the second pipe from the left.

Rockerdan, did the Copper sealant or whatever you used work to help the gaskets last longer?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2010-02-15 11.58.56.jpg
    2010-02-15 11.58.56.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 2010-02-15 12.39.48.jpg
    2010-02-15 12.39.48.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 258
Thank You ROCKERDAN, you rock!!!
Last Saturday, when I put my sled in trailer, I noticed a different sound coming from near footwell. I had purchased donuts last year, waiting for IT to happen. Pulled sled apart, about 45 minutes, and sure enuf, 2 clamps were out of position. Ended up with 3 donuts for the most part gone and one still good. Replaced all four. Had to grind off a bit on the clamp spacers, so that added a bit more time. Re-installed all parts at back of sled and headlight pod when I noticed that I had neglected to put the fuel line safety clip back on. Took apart again. Total time 2.5 hours.

Thanks ROCKERDAN. I printed out your instructions and they helped a lot.

Forgot to mention, no damage to flex pipe or pipe

this a great write up i want to do this to my 2 apexs this year i was wonderin in order to pull out the y pipes completley do you need to drop the rear skid.

well i pulled the sled down today and i was dooing good till i got to step 15 like everyone eles i striped the bolts so drilled out the heads and then drilled out the rivets. i want to pull the y-pipes but i can not get the rear half ot the exhust of the y-pipes is thier some sort of trick to this. also what type of rivets do i use to replace the ones i drilled out.

thanks

Just did mine. Took the sled apart last night to check the donuts. They were still usable but were showing some wear so I installed new ones today. Took about 3 hours total. Pretty easy job. $22 CDN each for those donuts is a ripoff. They shouldn't be any more than 1/2 that.

Those 2 bolts that everyone seems to be having problems with I heated up with a torch and then used a hex key with a long bar on the end and they loosened right up without stripping.

I've used aluminum rivets and they all sheared off. Live and learn. Now I use SS bolts and only fasten that holder on the sides and middle. No issues with that. I've also used steel rivets. They did not shear.

Getting the 2 exhaust pieces to seperate can be tough. Lot of wiggling back and forth. Lot of swearing. They are fun putting back in too!

Is it normal for new donuts to smoke a bit? Fired the sled up for the first time and noticed some smoke coming up from the seat and riser area.

I changed them once before on my old Apex but this is the first time on my Attak. I can't remember if they did on my Apex.

Back