• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First ride Pilot 6.9's

plake

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder LTX
Ok went with the Pilot 6.9's and dumped the Tuners. These things dart like crazy. My dealer put skis on and installed single 6" carbides, no outside bar. I'm not studded. I always liked Stud boy Deuce bars, can I run them on Pilot skis?? Worked great on previous Yamaha's. I know there is a huge thread on shimming these skis.

Shim as per Dan's instruction and check ski alignment/toe-out.

Did the steering feel heavy? Might want to evaluate your suspension settings as well.

Yup, duece bars work great on the pilots. So do snowtrackers. Make sure you check your toe out and if you need a 1/4 or 3/8 shim under your rubbers as these will both contribute to darting as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You've taken a duel keel ski and made it a single keel ski. Of course it's going to dart. 6" carbides are not enough in my opinion. If you're at all aggressive I would go with the 7.5" shapers and at least 4 inch bars on the outside. With this set up you should be able to lighten up the steering effort allot with adjustments.
I'm sure everybody could go on and on for 42 pages of info on this topic, but ....oh wait 4 threads down that's already been done!

Last edited:
you need to make suspension adjustments...and with the warm and freeze its not normal conditions to judge...take some ski pressure off and enjoy

Pilots are the least darting ski's avail.....

I dont personally like Shapers on a pilot ski. I would run a round bar in center, 8" BRP/Woody's carbide with 1/2" round host bar.

And be sure to add some stock BRP 4" outers....if you dont care about light steering then you can add 1/2" round bar(4" carbide) to outers which will help with darting, and carving, but will be a tad heavier effort.

Check your toe...you need to measure the pilots from two set locations which I have posted many times. Set them to 1/8'' toe out at those locations.

I would also be certain the rubbers were modded in the way described in page one of the massive thread. Shimming will certainly go a long way to help darting.

And finally....I know MANY regions currently have had rain/thaws and refroze......if this is the case, nothing will stop darting in certain conditions. So just bare that in mind always.

Hope this helps
Dan

Shout out to Dan... Mighty set up exactly as described and they worked great in less than great conditions

Agreed SJ. Huge improvement. However I would like more bite and why I'll be putting shapers on next go around. I thought you were going with the pilots? Change of heart?

Ok went with the Pilot 6.9's and dumped the Tuners. These things dart like crazy. My dealer put skis on and installed single 6" carbides, no outside bar. I'm not studded. I always liked Stud boy Deuce bars, can I run them on Pilot skis?? Worked great on previous Yamaha's. I know there is a huge thread on shimming these skis.

I've been running my 6.9 lately with 6" duece bars with a Woodys navigatitor to protect the front of the ski and help with darting, also a stock single carbide on the outer edge. I did not shim them as the shimming makes the steering harder. They work so much better on the Yamaha than they ever did on the 1200 Doo! I actually like them where as I hated them on the Doo as they steered hard and still darted.

Seems like you can run anything on the SideWinder for bars on the Pilots and they work, even the 7.5" shapers, but doo expect some darting using single carbides in the center, even if you add the outside carbide, hence my liking of the Deuce bars on these skis. You will get some pushing in the loose stuff though as the 5.7 and 6.9 is still a twin keel ski.

I've been running my 6.9 lately with 6" duece bars with a Woodys navigator to protect the front of the ski and help with darting, also a stock single carbide on the outer edge. I did not shim them as the shimming makes the steering harder. They work so much better on the Yamaha than they ever did on the 1200 Doo! I actually like them where as I hated them on the Doo as they steered hard and still darted.

Seems like you can run anything on the SideWinder for bars on the Pilots and they work, even the 7.5" shapers, but doo expect some darting using single carbides in the center, even if you add the outside carbide, hence my liking of the Deuce bars on these skis. You will get some pushing in the loose stuff though as the 5.7 and 6.9 is still a twin keel ski.

Steering effort was not bad, going to put a set of deuce bars on, 6", and go from there. Conditions on my first ride were the kind that any ski might dart. Are the D2410's the correct ones? Says any pilot, just 2 studs into skis.

Why direct on a dual ish runner ski..? Knapp you notice anything with the navigator or just a keel protector?

Why direct on a dual ish runner ski..? Knapp you notice anything with the navigator or just a keel protector?

I think you mean why Deuce? So they don't dart. Single carbide on the Pilot center will dart as outside carbide is off the ground yet.

Navigator provide protection for plowed fields, rocks ect. also provides some help to help eliminate darting as well, but when I ran them with just single shapers this spring, I still noticed some darting that is not there with the Deuce.

Back