• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

First rides on 06 Apex GT (COLD HANDS)

RxThunder

Expert
Had the Apex out for the first time this past weekend and on New years eve, Absolutly love this sled! Corner to corner it is amazing how much of a difference there is between it and my RX1 (stock clutching) It wanted to dart a little bit a few times, but nothing like the RX1 was when it was on the stock setup. My only complaint is that on a 8 degree day my hands were frozen! The sled has handguards on it and a low windshield, I like the windshield and my hands wouldn't have been freezing had the warmers actually heated up. I remember reading about this issue when the sleds first came out and I was riding with two other Apex's, one which had a Yamaheater installed but the heaters no longer work at all, the other Apex had the wires rewired from parallel to series, or vice versa, I can't remember and he said it will melt the grips if he turns it up past halfway. I have read nothing but good things about Yamaheaters, I am wondering what my other options are. Is there any risk to switching the wiring around? Thanks in advance for any help!

I have rewired 6 or 7 Apex's to eliminate the cold hands . Did them all when they were new and none of them ever had a problem. The only thing is, you can't turn them up over half way ( don't need to). However, other guys on here have had problems with their stators and no one is sure if this had anyhting to do with it. Several other friends put the Yamaheaters on and love them. Great product. If you feel comforrtable rewiring - go for it. If you don't, I would recommend the Yamaheaters. Just don't ride wirth cold hands- it ain't worth it. I believe the rewire diagram is in here somewhere.

Ai chiefsledhead mentioned, rewire the grips to parrallel instead of series. Meaning one wire from the sled to one wire to each grip. I believe you should have either a yellow or orange wire as power and a black as ground. Right now the power goes to one grip then from that grip it goes to the other grip and then to the black ground wire. Wire the power to each grip and the gound to each grip. This parrallel connection reduces the ohms resistance to 50% of stock thus allows more power to flow thru giving you more heat. Just try not to go over 50% on the meter. You will use alot of power and may melt the grips.

I'm just going for the extra tall windshield, it's also wider and protects your hands. I have a friend that did this a couple of years ago and no more complaints. I'll take function over form any day! After a day of riding deep icy snow and sucking snow through my helmet vents plus having cold hands, I called my dealer and placed it on order.

Yep.
There was a update kit for the 06's.
It came with wiring to change things the way the guys are talking about.
I used the wiring kit with the old bars and grips..man do they get hot..I never go over half and no probs over the years.I gave away the updated bars and grips.

After you ride with Yamaheaters you'll be sorry you didn't do it before. Not too hard to install. I didn't need help but everyone who does gets top notch help from the maker of the product.

with the 06 bars you can rewire and never have cold hands again no need for yamaheaters on a06 as long as it has 06 bars the way to tell is if the hooks on the bar ends are bolt on it is 06 bars if they are all one piece they are 07 and newer. it is easy and free to do this. yamaheaters are the best product and rock is the best customer support I have ever dealt with if you go that route you wont be disappointed either. in our group we had 3 07's and 1 06 and the one 06 got so warm after the rewire that we all wished we had the 06 bars. I went ahead and got the yamaheaters from rock and never had cold hands again on my 07 but if I had an 06 I would have rewired and saved the money.

thor452 said:
with the 06 bars you can rewire and never have cold hands again no need for yamaheaters on a06 as long as it has 06 bars the way to tell is if the hooks on the bar ends are bolt on it is 06 bars if they are all one piece they are 07 and newer. it is easy and free to do this. yamaheaters are the best product and rock is the best customer support I have ever dealt with if you go that route you wont be disappointed either. in our group we had 3 07's and 1 06 and the one 06 got so warm after the rewire that we all wished we had the 06 bars. I went ahead and got the yamaheaters from rock and never had cold hands again on my 07 but if I had an 06 I would have rewired and saved the money.

Yep!

I got the tip to use the old bars with the wiring deal..it sure does work and the info to do that came from here!
But like you say you can rewire the 06 without the kit...the wiring kit made it that much easier for me.

I just installed the yamaheater from Rock.I have 06 Apex with 06 bars.I did alot of reading before I made my decision.I'm very mechanically inclined and Rocks plug and play instructions you don’t have to be.It's really SIMPLE and they work awesome.Rocks costumer service is second to none. Plus you learn more about your sled.Best add on I have done to my sled and we'll worth the money.If you don't want to spend the money you can rewire the grips like others have talked about.I wasn't comfortable with doing it that way but that's just me.Do your research and you will make the best decision for what works for yourself.I wish I installed the yamaheater years ago. :die

I would love to support Rock and his product, but if there is no harm in rewiring the warmers I would like the save the money and go that route. I have only had this sled apart once and it is currently sitting in a non heated garage and it has been very cold lately. Are there any detailed directions or pictures for where the best place to do this to the wires would be and what wires to connect?

On my 06 Apex I've been running the original bars with the updated wire harness and it worked out pretty well. I never set the heat above 3 bars, but I've bumped it up to 4 or 5 bars trying to get to 3. Anyway, that setup heats well, but I did have to replace my stator around 10,000 miles. Not sure if the two are connected or not.

If your sled has the updated bars it might be hard to find a set of original bars these days. I would just go with the Yamaheater and be done with it.

Stators go anyway - my 06 has only 6000 miles bone stock handle bars and all - stator replaced last spring...
I'd say go ahead and wire them up...

Stators go anyway - my 06 has only 6000 miles bone stock handle bars and all - stator replaced last spring...
I'd say go ahead and wire them up...

look up the rewire diagram or go to your dealer and get the updated wire harness either way its cheap and works great as long as you have the 06 bars (grips and bar hooks are two separate pieces.) it is just wiring the 06 bars like 07 and newer bars.

Back