• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Found a new snowmobile patent from yamaha?

crankshaft is a 3 cylinder but in some pics they show 4 holes for possibly a rear exiting exhuast. Pretty sure the sidewinder name came about last year. My prediction is a new nytro. Not necessarily called a nytro but the same principals as the nytro was. I see a few similarities in the drawings but who knows. A couple of years from now I'd suspect we'll know the answer.

Which would be what? A 3-cylinder 4-stroke snowmobile that handles like crap? Lol Sorry. I couldn't resist. :rofl:

Pretty cool. Looks like alot of cat in the design(front suspension). That is a good thing as the front suspension is excellent especially with the QS3's. Few years away i am sure but still really cool!

Seems to me Yamaha said we have to bring new products to market much faster than we have in the past. Why wait?...Maybe Yamaha has been testing already. 2018 product line looms large.imo

The way it reads is the whole sled is carbon composite. Not carbon fiber. Basically carbon reinforced plastic. Tunnel and all. Interesting.... My guess is if they are just now filing for the patent that we are a LONG way away from seeing this thing. Probably 3 or 4 years.

If the patent was applied for then they have built it already and have working models! I bet it will have a 998cc NA 112 hp, then a 998cc superchanged 150/170 hp, then the turbo at 204 hp. I would think the Supercharger would be less under hood temp's and simpler design then a big turbo and lighter !!!! I'm hoping for 450# 4-Stroke ....

If the patent was applied for then they have built it already and have working models! I bet it will have a 998cc NA 112 hp, then a 998cc superchanged 150/170 hp, then the turbo at 204 hp. I would think the Supercharger would be less under hood temp's and simpler design then a big turbo and lighter !!!! I'm hoping for 450# 4-Stroke ....
Not typically in the engineering world. You patent ideas before developing them. If you don't there's nothing keeping the competition from stealing the idea and beating you to the punch.

Is that a no chain case design? Looks like crank shaft to secondary attached to the driveshaft. Either way its got all the good 'words' in it! haha

It still has a chain case or drive case. Fig 16 #45 is a cross shaft to a output gear. It also talks of a drive shaft gear a belt or chain. Talks of a reversing gear as well. Read page 36 referring to figure 2. 16 and 1.

As long as its not a diamond drive, that did not work out well for Cat.

Not typically in the engineering world. You patent ideas before developing them. If you don't there's nothing keeping the competition from stealing the idea and beating you to the punch.
I know a Patent lawyer for Hewlett Packer Sent and e-mail and he said IDEA's can't be patented. working prototypes are build and proven then they patent the processes and engineering. I'm sure a working prototype is on the snow being proven. I would bet the Carbon fiber process is being used in there Motorcycles somewhere.

The simple answer is no—you cannot patent an idea for an invention. The invention itself has to be produced or a patent application containing the invention must be filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). While all inventions start with an idea, not every idea can be called an invention.
Can You Patent an Idea? | LegalZoom
https://www.legalzoom.com/.../can-you-patent-an-ideaLegalZoom.com, Inc

Last edited:
All the patents applied for in my biz were always protypes first then went thru the patent process. Seems to me you need to know something is possible to build by building it then apply for patent.

This just got me a bit excited and makes me think of whats going to be out in the future. Carbon fiber would make for an excellent material that is as strong as steel and way lighter then aluminum IF they can keep it cheap cause that stuff is not cheap. I guess we will see!

Yamaha has been thinking about building a CF sled for a while. Even CR mentioned this in his blog a few years ago. If the goal is to improve power to weight, how much weight are we talking about?

I saw a twitter or a FB post not too long ago with pics of Chirs Burandt's CF RMK. I think it weighed 390 lbs. (not sure if that was wet or dry). But that sled has a mostly CF skid in addtion to a bunch of other CF parts. The sled was also turboed and supposedly makes 270hp. If so, that's some pretty good P-T-W.

A factory CF sled, from any manufacturer, would be a really bold move IMO.

So on Sled Talk today he talks about testing advanced prototypes in Japan. Lets hope its a new CF sled!!

I might be missing something here, but basically this is the Cat chassie. The patent could be simply the composite carbon fiber! Way COOL!! Do we all realize what kind of breakthrough this could be? Did Yamaha figure out a way to produce this material cheap enough? If so this is a real game changer!!

Read the third comment on sled talks latest post then read Chris's reply. Sorry everyone I must of been in the fog the 5th comment is what got my attention. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Just thought of something,this would answer the performance damper if you think about it!!!The CF frame would have twist and the damper would keep the frame from twisting:Rockon:

Back