• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox Floats

Murse

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2011 Yamaha Apex Std Red
Alright so I obviously see that these Fox Floats are becoming more popular, I have done research and I understand how to adjust them properly. I have a few concerns, I read that they need to be adjusted according to temperature? So for example I buy a New Viper SE or Apex SE I adjust the pressure to where i think I will like inside the shop at 20 degrees Celsius and drive the machine outside at -20 and have to readjust air pressure? Then I have to check the pressure monthly to make sure it stays in at the pressure I set it at? Then If i want to change the rear shock pressure on trail if there is a lot of snow I have to tip sled get under there clear snow and add or remove pressure? On top of all that i have to get the shocks serviced every season? Does any one have floats? Is this not annoying as hell? Please enlighten me...

No different than any other shock......they all should be done every year or every other year anyways......I do my shocks every year....all of them.....

I guess I am more of a set and ride kind of guy. I like my ohlin's rear mono for the automatic adjust from handlebar for damping and the quick adjust in the front I play with them from time to time but it is easy. I guess it's about getting used to it.

I set my float x's on my nytro to 65 psi with skis off the ground in my heated (15 Celsius) garage. Went riding in quebec it was probably -30 celcius. Wanted to make an adjustment, checked the pressure and they were at 63 psi. Not a lot of difference for a huge temperature swing. Nothing that I would worry about.

I just had my fox floats rebuilt and revalved this year for the first time. I have and 07 apex rtx with 7000 miles on it.

SRXSRULE2 said:
I set my float x's on my nytro to 65 psi with skis off the ground in my heated (15 Celsius) garage. Went riding in quebec it was probably -30 celcius. Wanted to make an adjustment, checked the pressure and they were at 63 psi. Not a lot of difference for a huge temperature swing. Nothing that I would worry about.

Thank you! that is what I was looking for now I have confidence in looking at this 11 Apex SE that just came in on trade. I was worried about those shocks I know/ heard they ride very well but thanks for that I will be looking very seriously now at that sled.
7000miles! cool alright I got my answers thanks a lot.

I would send the floats to mike carver and have them revalved major improvement over stock and my shocksare the regular floats.

Another thing that you could use is nitrogen which is more consistant and not affected by temperature and doesn't absorb water.

I have them on my nitro with the ad on resi from hygear. I keep the at 65 psi and every year at the beginning of the season and even when I check them throughout the season they don't go below 62 psi. I have 8200 miles on them and never had a problem, so they have them pretty well made. Good luck buying your new sled!

The ad on resi or the float twos are much better than the float ones. I rode a couple of the apexes with the float twos and they have them riding really smooth in MHO.

Back