• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox QS3 on Nytro XTX

SchelT

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Nytro XTX 1.75
Technical question needing answered. Standard front shock length on a Nytro XTX is 17.5"
New Fox QS3 is 18.5"... a full inch longer. Rumors say a longer front shock is a change for the better on the Nytro front suspension..Thoughts?

Actually for trail handling shorter is better...star suspension will lower your front shocks by an inch I think, or recommends JRE spindles or SLP spindles for the same effect. JRE recommends a longer shock by 1 inch with their spindle to get back to stock clearance. Off trail though you want all the clearance you can get.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lengthening the front shock on my XTX was a great improvement in ride quality and in chassis control (able to use lower pressures and still maintain shock travel) It seems that the higher I keep the nose on my XTX the better the chassis performs. I'm using Fox Evol 18.25" length that I bought used from a Guy with a Ski-Doo Sno Cross race sled.

Lengthening the front shock on my XTX was a great improvement in ride quality and in chassis control (able to use lower pressures and still maintain shock travel) It seems that the higher I keep the nose on my XTX the better the chassis performs. I'm using Fox Evol 18.25" length that I bought used from a Guy with a Ski-Doo Sno Cross race sled.
I see that you changed the front spindles. Would that be a necessity if I were to go with the taller shocks?

I ran the EVOL R 17.5" shocks and they were wonderful. Hands down the best ride I've had and the adjustability with the air pump was great. Soft for off trail and harder for on trail and lessen the body rolling.

I would give them a try. You can always back off preload to drop nose a bit. I have jre spindles with longer shocks. Spindles helped handling a bunch. Flatter more stable. Then changed from the playschool fox floats to axis coilovers at the longer length and it was much better smoother over bumps smoother transitions from side to side and initiating corners aswell as no harshness on studder bumps

You could use either Stock or JRE spindle with longer shocks, like the earlier post stated you can adjust ride height with fox so you have the opportunity to play around with your setup and dial in what works for you. The JRE spindle as mentioned above cures other issues.

FYI....the 09' xtx did come with 18.25" shocks stock, so I think it would make a big deal. I run a skinz front end with 18.25" fox float x evols (race take offs) and skinz states the front end designed for 17.5" shocks. I simply run more sag on the front shocks to get the front end where I want it to be. I measured where it liked it setup before I swapped it out and adjusted it the same after new front end. the shocks have enough adjustability to make up for shorter stroke. no worries just run less spring tension on shocks.

You could always send them to a shock guy to have the shaft shortened if you're dead set on having 17.5"

Back