• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Front axle bearing damage

Joe ltx-le

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx-dx
2017 sidewinder. 5300 miles.
this is the front drive axle with the brake caliper and bearing removed. i noticed this was bad when i was changing the slides. when i pulled the skid out there was alot of play in the bearing. i thought for sure the bearing was destroyed. find out the bearing was fine but the shaft was wore from the bearing turning on it.
this has been a problem on these chasis for years and apparently its still a problem. Take alook guys and girls before you find out on the trail.

Shaft is wore out. Almost 1/8 of an inch of shaft missing.
Has anyone had luck machining a sleeve to fit over the shaft ?

Definitely an issue....

Yes, under warranty (if you have the warranty)

Problem is, the diameter of the spline is almost the size of the bearing diameter....so sleeving it is out of the question.

I have an axle that is .035" under and will be spray welding the diameter and regrinding on the centerless grinder at work.

im hoping for warranty . of course no one answers the phone at the dealer.

I'll update when I know. Atleast removing it wasn't too bad

Attachments

• IMG_6136.JPG
    IMG_6136.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_6137.JPG
    IMG_6137.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 284
What would cause this? Maybe the bearing is a little loose and when hitting the brake or throttle hard makes it spin on the shaft?

Yes. The bearing tolerance is loose.

If you look on the viper page there's a large thread on this issue. I thought it would be good to bring it to light on the winder side. Same sled different engine

On the sleds I work on, I see that the ones that run their track more loose tend to have axle wear problems. I think it's the heavy grease in the bearing or not having the bearing cleaned enough. That bearing is a pain and gets a lot of corrosion inside.

On the sleds I work on, I see that the ones that run their track more loose tend to have axle wear problems. I think it's the heavy grease in the bearing or not having the bearing cleaned enough. That bearing is a pain and gets a lot of corrosion inside.
I'm thinking removing, cleaning and repacking that bearing every season should be on the must do list.

They will ALL did that.:o|:o|:o|

In 2015 viperT i have been stuck #$%&*far FAR in the wood because of that bearing.... It has been replace under warranty.+++600$ towing to get out of the wood i was 100 miles away from civilisation....

This summer i was planning to change it on my SW 5 500km (#*$&@ warranty).....

When i removed it, the shaft was finished and other brake problem! So the dealer have replace the shaft, disc and caliper. I didn't put back the cheap Chinese junk bearings, replaced by good VAG ......

Don't forget to put it in silicone or green locktight.

Last edited:
i Hate to say this guys but seasonal cleaning and maintenance would not have saved this axle. this a 17 machine.

the garbage china bearing to me is most of the issue . i have a FAG germany bearing to put in. it actaully has a a tighter inner race then the origianal and is a way better quality bearing.

here kitty kitty kitty. lets not forget this is not the blue side of the sidewinder

Back