• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Frontend Diving in Powder

nick15344

I just got my new XTX and must say I really like it when riding on the trail or on hard pack. The problem I'm having is when playing in the powder. The XTX just doesn't like to carve in the powder and when you let off the gas the front end likes to dive. After a half day of powder riding I was completely played out and looking forward to getting back on the trail (unusual for me as I liked spending days playing in the powder with my old renegade). Is this just what I have to deal with having gone to the heavier four stroke or would modifications (ski's, deeper track) improve the XTX's handling in the powder while still maintaining on trail handling. :o|

1. Wider skis. I tried the mounatin skis and didn't like them. I now run C&A XTX skis that I really like. They are 7.25" wide.
2. Deeper lug track. I went with the Cobra which works good on and off trail.

All you need is a set of skis! A deeper lug track would be an added bonus though. I put a set of 6.9 Ski-Doo Pilots on my XTX and it is a different sled now. I liked them so much I just put a set on my Vector today.

Just got back from Montana. One thing that really helped my son and I was the Skinz Float Plate. It provides wide coverage and floatation all the way to the tip of the fron bumper. Or try the Yamaha Float Plate, but you also neeed the Sport Bumper.

I went with mountain skis (fast impact) and it made a big difference. Longer track is waiting for later this summer to see if the 1.6 cobra comes out. I would go skis first to save cost unless you want to do both.

Renegade, how are those Yammi mountain skis on the trail compared to the stockers? I put a set of Woody's carbides on my stockers and I am quite impressed with the way they handle. Even though I find the stock skis not too bad in our flatland powder riding(2-3ft) the added flotation of a wider ski is always welcome! If I can keep my handling where I have it now with mountain skis I would go for it!

Blue 4's Rule said:
Renegade, how are those Yammi mountain skis on the trail compared to the stockers? I put a set of Woody's carbides on my stockers and I am quite impressed with the way they handle. Even though I find the stock skis not too bad in our flatland powder riding(2-3ft) the added flotation of a wider ski is always welcome! If I can keep my handling where I have it now with mountain skis I would go for it!

I will find out more this weekend. I only just tested them and I am running doolys with mine. They are great on the trail I notice no real difference but after this weekend I will send you a PM about deeper snow. ;)!

Nick, we've got three of the XTXs in our family, I put the slp powder pro skis on mine and my brothers didn't it is unreal how much of a difference this and a track will make for you, also some suspension changes will help too. I'm just over in Shellbrook you should stop by work and I'll hook you up with a few goodies. The way my XTX is set up now it is by far the most capable and playfull sled I have ever ridden.

Ted Naber

i put the yamaha mountain skis on my xtx and the extra 10 mm deep keel makes it a lot better for corners but it darts more ,floatation is a lot better ,i used a set of the plastic easy steers on the front and no darting at all now,one thing is the steering was real heavy, i put my limiter straps back to stock and the front shock in rear skid back to stock to get it to ease up on the steering effort,im happy with it now

Southern Renegade said:
Blue 4's Rule said:

I will find out more this weekend. I only just tested them and I am running doolys with mine. They are great on the trail I notice no real difference but after this weekend I will send you a PM about deeper snow. ;)!

That would be great Renegade, I look forward to hearing from you!

New Skis

So I have been hearing that the best bang for your buck to get better floatation in the powder is new skis. I've been doing some research and have found many different opitions. Can anybody recommend or provide a review of the following skis: Slydog Powder Hounds, SLP Powder Pro, C&A XTX Skis or the Yamaha Mountain skis. I'm a little concerned how the skis will work in both the deep stuff and the trails. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at the same issues and have read through many of the comments and threads on the various skis. It seems to me that the C&A XTX skis may be the best for both the trail and float, while many of the others are great floatation skis. They run about $400 bucks though and you can get the Yami Mountain Skis for a lot less either new bottoms only from a dealer or take offs from a mountain sled. I'd love to hear from someone that's compared the two.

Back