• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Frontend Diving in Powder

Goddo said:
One thing you should all be aware of. More aggressive skis mean steering effort is increased. My shoulders are extremely sore today, more so than any other day I have ever ridden.

It may depend on the ski because I have the Slydog Powderhounds on my VL and found that the steering effort is much easier than the stock ski. These skis stay on top of the snow and do not follow other tracks and even if they do get in a rut it is so much easier to steer out. The reduced steering effort was a pleasant surprise on these because I read so much about the more aggresive ski being harder to steer.

Attachments

• Slydog PH Skis 010(rsz).jpg
    Slydog PH Skis 010(rsz).jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Slydog PH Skis 012(rsz).jpg
    Slydog PH Skis 012(rsz).jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 57

Wider doesn't necessarily mean more aggressive. It all depends on the style and shape of the keel. The 6.9s have a large keel right down the center, and when it cuts into hardpack it's tough to turn it.

Some skis have different designs (keels on the edges, etc) to improve steering effort and provide a wider ski for flotation.

Goddo said:
Wider doesn't necessarily mean more aggressive. It all depends on the style and shape of the keel. The 6.9s have a large keel right down the center, and when it cuts into hardpack it's tough to turn it.

Some skis have different designs (keels on the edges, etc) to improve steering effort and provide a wider ski for flotation.

Pic attached of the keel design of the Powderhound - much more aggressive than the stock ski but with better steering effort. I have noticed though that if you get into crusty conditions they will dart dangerously and the steering effort is increased.

Attachments

• Slydog PH Skis 007(rsz).jpg
    Slydog PH Skis 007(rsz).jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 56
I switched from stock skis (7" wide) with 9" skins on my VL -MP to the Simmons Gen 2. hugh difference in handling along with incredible floatation. I don't ride groomed trails so can't speak to how they would handle in those conditions but so far they have been a big improvement on sled packed trails and deep powder. not to much steering effort and the sled goes where you point the bars. The Simmons Gen 2's are 10" wide, so you aren't dragging your belly pan if you have any speed up. The sled runs really high in the snow.

Attachments

• Simmons side view.jpg
    Simmons side view.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Simmons Gen 2 skegs.jpg
    Simmons Gen 2 skegs.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Simmons & Yamaha skis.JPG
    Simmons & Yamaha skis.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 56

Back