• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel tank repair

yamahatd

Expert
I accidentally drilled a 1/4" hole in the top of the fuel tank and was hoping it could be repaired. Has anyone had any luck with this and what did you use.

Thank you as always for any input

Adhesives will not work on polyethylene. A hot weld type of repair or mechanical plug are the options. The filler necks are spun against the tank creating heat to fuse them on at the factory.

Is the hole on the very top where you just have to worry about splashing or on the top/side where it'll have constant gas contact?

The hole is at the very top and splashing if the only worry. On the way home I thought of tapping it and threading in a stainless bolt with a rubber washer and some thread sealant. Ice breaker suggested the use of a tapered plug which I will look for.... Thank you

That was my thought depending on location. I've used silicone and screws with rubber washers in emergency spots that then became well it hasn't leaked yet spots.

Just use a stainless sheet metal or wood screw. No need to cut threads, the screw will cut it's own threads, seal and hold tight. If you go to a RV dealer you can get a holding tank repair kit for use on plastic tanks. Used to seal up the old Elan tank years ago, still good.

If you pay shipping I will give you a fuel tank. Maybe $15-20 to ship.

Have a local plastic welder down here that I used to weld seam on my sr viper. Used tanks were no where to be found and I needed a good fix.

Hibshman, that's a great offer. Will the tank have all the components? If so how do I pay you if interested?

I'm thinking of heating up a metal plug and threading it in the hole. I figure the heat would melt the plastic to the plug and create a good seal. Quick and easy, snow is here and the next ride is the weekend of 1/29:sled2::beer:

That's a legit offer from Travis. Thread the screw in and take him up on that offer. I think asking if everything is included is a bit much though. I'd assume he's offering just the plastic and you move everything over.

Travis, thank you for that offer.... You're the man. I live in North East Massachusetts and would be a 8-10hr round trip. The plan right now is to plug it for my trip on 1/29 and hope for the best. I have a local source for a used tank 45min away.

Back