• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fully Clipped Tracks & Slide Wear

Blue Dave

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX DX
Happy New Year Guys!

I installed an Ice Ripper XT fully clipped track this season. I also installed a new set of the standard Yamaha slides at the same time. I set the track tension on the loose side (1 1/2 inch free hanging) and put on about 70 miles in what I would call poor conditions with a lot of "snirt" (snow mixed with dirt). I was shocked to see that the slides are worn to the wear limit line in the usual places which is what I would have expected after hundreds of miles with my original track which was clipped every third lug.I realize that the standard slides will wear quickly initially and then stay at that point for a long time. However I have never seen this in as little as 70 miles even with the "snirt" I was mostly riding in.

Well now I am installing the Dupont slides that I should have bought back when I started the season! At $50 each (I got a discount from my dealer off of the $60 retail) I sure hope they last as long as some guys are reporting.

My question is this: Do fully clipped tracks as a rule cause more slider wear because of the additional track clips and additional open windows which can not trap snow as well as the original track? I did notice that 2/3 of the clips on my Ice Ripper XT have "dimpled pockets" which I assume are to trap snow however I am thinking that in poor conditions they can also trap dirt and pebbles.

Attachments

• DSC01347.JPG
    DSC01347.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 161

i would say a fully clipped track is easier on slides,steel against teflon is better than rubber against teflon,but looking at the picture,your slides are still good for a long time,my slides have been like that for 3000 miles,they stop wearing at a certain point and will stay there for a long time

Blue Dave said:
Happy New Year Guys!

I installed an Ice Ripper XT fully clipped track this season. I also installed a new set of the standard Yamaha slides at the same time. I set the track tension on the loose side (1 1/2 inch free hanging) and put on about 70 miles in what I would call poor conditions with a lot of "snirt" (snow mixed with dirt). I was shocked to see that the slides are worn to the wear limit line in the usual places which is what I would have expected after hundreds of miles with my original track which was clipped every third lug.I realize that the standard slides will wear quickly initially and then stay at that point for a long time. However I have never seen this in as little as 70 miles even with the "snirt" I was mostly riding in.

Well now I am installing the Dupont slides that I should have bought back when I started the season! At $50 each (I got a discount from my dealer off of the $60 retail) I sure hope they last as long as some guys are reporting.

My question is this: Do fully clipped tracks as a rule cause more slider wear because of the additional track clips and additional open windows which can not trap snow as well as the original track? I did notice that 2/3 of the clips on my Ice Ripper XT have "dimpled pockets" which I assume are to trap snow however I am thinking that in poor conditions they can also trap dirt and pebbles.

I believe they went to fully clipped tracks due in part to them realizing that they are actually better for slider wear than the closed window type?

DuPont are the only answer. I have the ice attack XT and my track is fully clipped with solid clips not those cheese greatters I have ZERO wear on 500km in mostly snirt and roads. Not even a drop of plastic on the clips either. Think you can save $$ by not having to buy scratchers

I agree with Pat the Rat. They wear to a point and then will last awhile. I wouldn't be so quick to change them out.

Same problem I had with my first Cobra track in good conditions thou, went back to a Ripsaw clip every 3rd and went 3200 miles on a set of hyfax.

Blue Dave said:
Happy New Year Guys!

The "lightweight" clips with the holes in them probably do trap some abrasives in thE pockets wHen riding on snert or low snow conditions. If you don't have some ditches to dip into occasionally and or some water holes to clean out the junk you are not going to see improvement. However my Phazer has those same clips and a 2" paddle, it would eat slides until I added scratchers, but hated that the scratchers only lasted about a season, and I always seemed to forget to raise them when backing up. Installed some home made cable type and zero wear, going on third season for the hifax, granted the sled doesn't get a lot of mileage, but it's all trail and as many no last year was rough. If you don't want to deal with scratchers of any kind, I would say the DuPont slides are probably the ticket, if you have over-heating issues as well, scratchers will be a two-for-one add on. The Phazer hasn't had an overtemp light come on since adding the scratchers either. My Nytro would typically run at 185*-195*, while the Phazer with scratchers on the same trip would be at 175*-185*. They are a bit of work and you need to really plan the placement for clearance purposes, but they offer more than just one benifit.

I already bought the Dupont slides so they are going on regardless. I was overheating some during the 70 miles in poor snow conditions so I may look at adding some scratchers as well.

Blue Dave said:
I already bought the Dupont slides so they are going on regardless. I was overheating some during the 70 miles in poor snow conditions so I may look at adding some scratchers as well.

A cooler in the rear would solve the overheating if you don't have one. And with DuPont slides you may not need scratchers.

CaptCaper said:
Blue Dave said:

A cooler in the rear would solve the overheating if you don't have one. And with DuPont slides you may not need scratchers.

I added the rear heat exchanger, diluted the much too concentrated factory glycol mixture, added Water Wetter, and added a digital temp gauge years ago. The temps did come down but I will still overheat (210 - 215 deg. F) in poor snow / high temp conditions. I just look for some loose snow and the temp will come down. Even when it is below zero and the trails are rock hard I will still overheat. This is the reason for considering ice scratchers rather than for the slides.

I have a question. Did you have track noise before you put on the fully clipped track and did the track get quieter after you fully clipped it? I am thinking of clipping mine just to help stop some of the track noise.

oldguy2 said:
I have a question. Did you have track noise before you put on the fully clipped track and did the track get quieter after you fully clipped it? I am thinking of clipping mine just to help stop some of the track noise.

I didn't notice any difference in noise but then again I never considered the track noise objectionable before.

Back