• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gas and oil question

Matthew

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2003 rx1
Ok so I have been skimming through pages and I see a lot of people say to use regular gas in the 03 rx1 (not preamuim?) and they use sinthetic in the sled (dealer said not to use it due to the ring problem?) anyone can fill me in thanks ;)

Speaking from my experience yes run only 87 octane. My sled from day one rode it for the most part wot where the wife's had more break in period. They both use a little oil from my experience so I'm to believe break in had nothing to do with it. I've run both non syn and synthetic oil and really can't tell if it makes any difference. Oil consumption has been as high a a qt every 300 miles. I feel the consumption is blow by the rings due to carbon. To prevent usage I throw a third of a can of sea foam in the tank every other fill up and that really does the job on usage. Back pipes now are all carboned up from doing so. I'm going on 10 k miles have the airbox mod jets and clutched and it still pulls like a freight train when I hammer it.

Speaking from my experience yes run only 87 octane. My sled from day one rode it for the most part wot where the wife's had more break in period. They both use a little oil from my experience so I'm to believe break in had nothing to do with it. I've run both non syn and synthetic oil and really can't tell if it makes any difference. Oil consumption has been as high a a qt every 300 miles. I feel the consumption is blow by the rings due to carbon. To prevent usage I throw a third of a can of sea foam in the tank every other fill up and that really does the job on usage. Back pipes now are all carboned up from doing so. I'm going on 10 k miles have the airbox mod jets and clutched and it still pulls like a freight train when I hammer it.

Whats the reason behind 87??

If I recall the manufacture says use 87 and also recall this with my Vstar. Totally agree with you today gas with ethanol is garbage and has no shelf life. When I ivestigated back when I was shocked to here 87 burned actually hotter then 91 octane by about 10k btu's.

If I recall the manufacture says use 87 and also recall this with my Vstar. Totally agree with you today gas with ethanol is garbage and has no shelf life. When I ivestigated back when I was shocked to here 87 burned actually hotter then 91 octane by about 10k btu's.

Correct it does burn hotter that's for sure but with the problems with the ethanol to me it's not worth it.

Sleds owners manual calls for regular gas. Whats the ??

Really no verdict on what type of gas to use. Pros on using regular your saving a little bit of money at the pump. Cons you let that gas sit and you'll be real fimaliar on cleaning the carbs. And vise versa on premium fuel. No profromance upgrade by doing so I'm thinking.

If using the sled regularly 87 is fine. We always run 91 for the last few tanks with seafoam and have not had any problems. As to the oil, owners choice. Some of the 03 sleds burned synthetic worse than regular, others it was the other way around. Only way to tell was to try it.

If using the sled regularly 87 is fine. We always run 91 for the last few tanks with seafoam and have not had any problems. As to the oil, owners choice. Some of the 03 sleds burned synthetic worse than regular, others it was the other way around. Only way to tell was to try it.

X2

Sled is tuned for 87 so unless you are really worried about ethanol just go with it and use the premium for storage. I think oil consumption varies more with driving style than oil type, the more throttle you use the more oil you use. Most guys are trying synthetic for better cold starting.

I ran 87 in my Warrior for 18,000 miles but filled up with premium for its summer sleep. Motor is designed to run 87. What you run is your choice! As far as Synthetic oil goes if you burn oil like its gas then I'd do a rethink on expensive Synthetic oil. If your consumption is low then why not. It is a better oil!

Are some of you saying that premium doesn't have ethanol? We have it in regular as well as Premium in our area at 10%. We can't buy premium without ethanol.

Back