• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gates ltx g-force belt

Do you have a part number for the gates belt? Ever tried the ultimatx belt?
I ran the ultimax xs belt on my nytro and worked flawlessly. I am running the gates on my viper and it works good. At the time thre was no ultimax belt available for the viper.

The standard gates belt and size for the viper. It is nice and grippy. I find the yamaha belts to hard and to me they glaze over to easy, mind they last a long time though.

The standard gates belt and size for the viper. It is nice and grippy. I find the yamaha belts to hard and to me they glaze over to easy, mind they last a long time though.

Yes the yamaha belts are very tough! But I know what you mean, mine seem to have a glazy feel to them even after running them hot. The gates belt even by feel has much more grip when hot than the yamaha ones.

I have over 4000km on the gates belt and it has held up very good for only costing 70.00

So if you used the gates and the ultimax xs which do you prefer and why? What differences did you notice? The stock yamaha belt is a great spare!

I will keep using the gates for now, no need to change back to ultimax xs. They are both grippy belts that work well with my aggressive clutching.

Had I switched back to the 8dn the speeds may have changed, but I already gave that the benefit of the doubt and did the radaring at the 1/4 mile mark (1320 feet). When I radared it with the gates belt I was only running 1000'. Yes I did run it the full 1/4 mile with the gates but after 1000 feet it did not gain as it hits rev limiter, it took the full 1/4 mile to run the 8dn up to 103. These aren't good true top speeds as I need to change the helix out as the one in now is too much, but as for clutch settings the only change made was removing primary weight to get the gates to rev properly, the secondary wasn't touched so it's a good true comparison
you don't understand what I'm saying,conditions always change if you don't go back to the setup you first tried you don't know what is best at the end of the day

you don't understand what I'm saying,conditions always change if you don't go back to the setup you first tried you don't know what is best at the end of the day
It's like the motocross track. Suspension settings need to be changed throughout the moto as ruts, whoops/rhythm section, jumps and lines in corners constantly changing so have to plan accordingly.

Think what he is saying to be fair to the first and last test the first test needs to be ran last for conclusion. Just because variables changed some much over that time lapse it wouldn't be a fair comparison to each in regards to that? Am I close?

I don't think you find that the gates carbon belt grips as well as the Carlisle XS belts. I haven't compared the two but it's just what I have been told.

Have put a decent amount of passes on all 3 belts (gates , 8dn and 8jp). Now I should clarify, this is a turbo viper set at 5-5.5 pounds of boost, a stock viper may or may not show the same results. Clutching is set to have a lower engagement, roughly 2800 rpm, this helps a lot with maintaining traction so you don't just instantly blow the track out. The gates belt is a bit harder to get the clutching setup properly because it grips more than the other two, another thing I've been noticing more is that because it grips more right off the start is that it's more difficult to get the fueling right, sometimes it takes right off, other times the sled acts as tho it loads up a bit. With the 2 yamaha belts you don't get any of that and they're easier to get the clutching right. Running on radar the gates belt will on occasion post faster times, it also will post slower times, it's just harder to keep it consistent in different conditions, the 8dn and 8jp belt were both very consistent whether it was is loose mealy snow or on frozen ground, both would pull 88-8900 rpm taking off and hold very true, when watching the tach you can see there is just a bit of fluctuation however in the 8jp, it varys 100 rpm at most where as the 8dn just holds a nice steady rpm. Getting more and more miles on the 8dn, it worked great for a lot of folks last year and I'm gonna stick with that one myself. If you are strictly into doing drag racing and know you'll be running consistent conditions the gates belt could work awesome, but for a nice rounded riding style the 8dn gets my vote, sorry I couldn't have done more actual testing earlier on but within the last week I've made about 30 passes and 10+ runs on a radar gun and I'm basing my opinion on how consistent the 8dn is, not saying ones the best and ones the worse, but the 8dn belt ran exactly the same no matter if it was on snow, ice or grass, that's a thumbs up for me

8dn slips hence the quick wind up. If the other belt grabs with less slip the motor should grunt and lug more. I am new to yamaha and 4 stroke clutching. I have a nytro. Is that what you are running as well?

I loved the first 30 miles or so with new scrubbed belt and clutch sheeves. No slip all grip!!! Have you guys done any secondary clutch machining?

I turned a 8dn into cat tail dust! Worst shredded belt I have seen in 30 years of riding. Left me stranded on trail with only belt wires left. Clutch alignment was just done.

Belt wires were all in and around clutch sheeves, helix, spring and anywhere else you can think of. Man that was a bitch!!!

Had to take secondary all apart on the trail or there was no hope. I have a ultimax belt now as well brand new and 8dn as well. I want to try these and other being a top notch belt is key with good clutching.

I had gates make a limited run for me on Kevlar water pump belts in the past. So curious to learn more about the drive belts.
I plan to do more testing with this over winter. I honestly don't think these clutches allow you to shift into overdrive like they should hence the machining. Lots to look at in my eyes.

Just happened to me tonight. Worst thing ever had to have buddies go get knife, needle nose and screw drivers and pry bars. My clutch was stuck fully engaged position threads wrapped around everything helix springs and wedge in between grooves. Everywhere. Def not like other belts when they shred. Some tough threads.

I personally have never used a belt that grabbed so hard as the Gates. I used the cheaper version in 8jp size. Went back to 8dn mostly because of its size and slightly lower ratio and because it's smooth. Now I am trying this belt. Used to be the original Ultimax 3 . Worked awesome on my SRX. Dayco owned the Ultimax name for a few years now Carlisle does. A Carlisle is not like the original Ultimax 3 even though it is called that. It is more like a 8jp. This Dayco is like original and similar to 8dn but softer. Never wore clutch faces. Testing this weekend.
image.jpg

I've had good luck with the Dayco XTX belts on a 270+ hp machine. That's all I run on it now. As long as the dimensions and compound works for you, I don't think you will be unhappy it. Though as far as belts go, for everyone that likes a certain belt, there is always someone that says it's junk:p

Back