• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gates Redline 40R4313

b00sted

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper LT-X
Anyone running this belt on a stock Viper? My 8JP is nearing the end of its life, and I've seen a few people talking about these Gates Redline belts as a good replacement. Just wondering if they're a good replacement option for a stock 2014 Viper, or if it will require clutching, etc?

I would think so, it's the same specs as an 8JP (width/circumference). I ran one the past 2 winters on my sidewinder and it performed really well. This winter I'm running one on the Viper as well, but it is clutched. Call Thunder products they will give you the answer your looking for.

I use the 40C4313 and like it a lot. Better grip and much less dust. I do have a Thunder Products secondary clutch belt adjuster which allows you to a) adjust secondary for optimal spacing for different belt lengths and belt wear and b) remove a belt easily. Highly recommend a belt adjuster.

I agree GR8BBQ, have Thunders adjuster on both sleds plus 911 primary covers. Nothing like always having the sheeves perfect as belt wears.

I use the 40C4313 and like it a lot. Better grip and much less dust. I do have a Thunder Products secondary clutch belt adjuster which allows you to a) adjust secondary for optimal spacing for different belt lengths and belt wear and b) remove a belt easily. Highly recommend a belt adjuster.
How hard is it to install the belt adjuster? Is there a video on youtube for install and adjustments?

I have a new Gates Carbon 40C4313 belt leftover from my turbo Viper if anyone is interested. I run the Timken XS825 or Gates Redline 40R4313 on my tuned Sidewinder.

I have a new Gates Carbon 40C4313 belt leftover from my turbo Viper if anyone is interested. I run the Timken XS825 or Gates Redline 40R4313 on my tuned Sidewinder.
PM sent

Been running an 8DN on my boosted Viper MTX for two seasons now. Seems to be working fine.

Years ago, people were recommending belt replacements for the 8DN on RX1's. I bought two (I couldn't begin to guess as to what belts they were, but one was the latest, greatest from Gates) and both were more expensive than the Yamaha 8DN, and both failed fairly quickly. So I went back to the original 8DN that came on the machine in 2003. That one began to delaminate around 2013, but didn't totally fail. The one I replaced it with is still on the sled.

I bought the boosted Viper used and the 8JP belt failed after a few weeks while pulling a big hill. I don't know how old the belt was, but it blew to pieces at WOT up a very step grade. All I had available was an old 8DN from my Apex in the back of my truck, and I sent a friend down the hill to get it so I could ride out of there. That belt went through two seasons and has held up nicely.

I don't know what the difference is between the 8DN and 8JP. I've been told that the 8JP is a softer compound and there is a difference in length. Performance wise, I haven't noticed any difference other than the 8JP went to pieces and the 8DN hasn't. Maybe it's coming.

So, I've tried others and have had the best luck with the 8DN's.

I have run the Gates Redline 40R4313 and works much better than stock 8JP or the Apex 8DN. Better grip at all speeds and less dust. I also tried the Timken XS825 and it also works great but more expensive. I have the Thunder Products complete clutch kit with belt adjusters on both primary and secondary. They are a huge help in adjusting the belt exactly the way you want it.

If I'm seeing this correctly Amazon has the Gates Redline 40R4313 for under $70 right now....

Back