• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

GEARED UP

ericmichael

Expert
For you people that are wondering if gearing up makes a diffrence..turk is correct if your over 200 lbs. it doesn't do any good. I weigh 140 lbs. I geared up two teeth on the top and it made a nice diffrence. Before hand I was running 102-103 top end and thats all it had. I would jump ahead of my buddies 03 rev 800 h.o and stay there the whole way about a sled lengths diffrence. Now, i'm hitting 110 speedo on a long haul. It seems to have better mid-range pull too. The low end didn't seem to be affected at all. The rev gets toasted now :). I put my gf on back which made rider weight about 240 and could only see 98 mph out of it. anyway just thought i'd let you guys know.

thats pretty sweet that ur nytro goes 110, i ordered th ulmer racing stage 2 clutch kit and it has a 22 tooth gear that comes withit, i hope i can hit 110 every day!! lol

That would be a very good gain on top @ 8 mph over stock, but are you sure your speedo isn't reading improperly now that you changed the gear ratio ? Hmnnnn....best way to tell is to carry a GPS and compare it to what your speedometer is reading, then you are 100% sure of your results.

The speedo reads the revs of the drive shaft, so it wouldn't be affected by the gear change. If you change the size of the drivers your speedo will be off, but I bet there's a way to re-calibrate for this in the pod - I'm thinking the MTX has smaller drivers and the same pod, right?

arteeex said:
The speedo reads the revs of the drive shaft, so it wouldn't be affected my the gear change. If you change the size of the drivers your speedo will be off, but I bet there's a way to re-calibrate for this in the pod - I'm thinking the MTX has smaller drivers and the same pod, right?

I thought that was how the speedo operated on these sleds, just wasn't 100 % on it. Still be good to compare to a GPS for your own curiosity. Great results nonetheless ;)!

NyTrOMaNIaC said:
That would be a very good gain on top @ 8 mph over stock, but are you sure your speedo isn't reading improperly now that you changed the gear ratio ? Hmnnnn....best way to tell is to carry a GPS and compare it to what your speedometer is reading, then you are 100% sure of your results.

I dont have a gps right now to compare with, but we have wide open long trails here so most of my riding is done 75- whatever she'll do ...comparing to my friends rev that wasn't touched before or after I installed the gear, there is a noticable diffrence in top end. The sled has around 700 miles now so its starting to get broken in..I also sucked the skid up alittle and lowered the suspension with the gear swap. Now i'm thinking with some super torquer weights, header this thing should be ahead of the old piped viper that I had. I know it would dimolish it down low and mid range as it sits now. :Rockon:

Back