• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gearing with Hacksaw

Voda2000

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer GT 136"
I've been reading though the posts on here about gearing and I've got a question.

I've got a 07 GT with the stock 1 inch Hacksaw on it along with an Ultra Q exhaust and Ulmer Clutch kit. It has the stock 20 tooth gear in it right now.

I'm thinking about drop to a 19 tooth gear to give me some more acceleration but I don't want to go as low as an 18 or 17 tooth because I ride primary trails with some long lake runs.

My concern is that with the 1 inch Hacksaw if I go to the 19 tooth gear, especially with the Ulmer kit that I am going to just have excessive track spin and not get anymore more power to the ground.

Does anyone have any experience with using a 19 tooth gear with the 1 inch Hacksaw? or with Ulmer's kit?

Any gearing change should be accompanied by clutching.Do it once so you dont have to do it again.Dont mess with 19 just got to a 18 or 17 right away.You will have to clutch to avoid rev limiter but once clutched it will be no more wear on your motor than when you had the 20 just alot more fun getting there.

I really don't want to loose too much top end and was thinking that the 19 would be a good compromise between the 20 and the 18.

My bigger concern is going to be the traction. I only weight 145 so I'm worried that if I gear it down, all I'm going to do is trench it everywhere. Any one have any ideas on that?

I don't have any rivets in the weights right now so I guess I would be adding rivet(s). I've never really understood what effect the different holes on the weights have on clutching or how much to add.

Does anyone have a "how to" on changing the gears. I looked at the shop manual and it doesn't look to hard.

You wont lose much topend at all thats why you do the clutching.When I had the 19 on it only gave me 2mph on top and it was only able to pull that extra 2 mph once or twice.Bottom end was just killed.

if you have ulmer kit just contact him with what gearing tell him how it affects the rpm and he'll know how much weights and will prbaly send it to you shouldn't cost much

Back