• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Getting RTX shocks out of skid

On an 2008 nitro rtx, 121 skid, what’s the easiest way to get shocks out ?
The front shock in the skid is leaking, so they need to be rebuilt,
So, I’m not the best at getting skids back in, so is it a nightmare to try and pull them with the skid in ?
It looks tight to get the wrenches up in there , plus the remote reservoir has to come out on the front one.
Looking for best way
Thanks

Pull while laying on its side, see my front end rebuild post for pics. 10 min to pull w a friend to help support the weight. Hardest part is keeping the weight from twisting the two front bolts out of alignment on way back in, otherwise easy.

Much easier to work on it when sitting on a work bench.
We just use a chainfall to get the back end up a little bit, (have used a ratchet strap in the past to compress it some) then wrestle it out, track flat on the ground slide the skid back in & lower chainfall, install bolts.

Ok.
Sounds like skid has to come out.
I've read the threads on removing.
So, if I understand the springs , you can rotate the plastic piece down on the rail forward, and it will release the spring, just unclear if I have to unbolt the plastic piece that holds the long arm of the spring first ? Or do you just rotate the plastic pieces?
And I guess using my sled lift isn't a good idea to get the skid in and out, just use a rope to raise rear ?

Raise rear off ground..rope will work I guess..but chainfall is very useful when putting skid back in.

Loosen your rear idler adj bolts all the way loose. (Will not be able to pull skid if track has tension).

Remove rear skid bolts..then front skid bolts (4 total)

You can rotate the spring housings forward to pop out the two springs..but I don't bother until I have skid on the bench to work on it. More helpful to do it when u put skid back on.

It's quite basic...just need to take ur time..and muscle that overweight skid frame out...then in.

Use an Impact to pull the 4 bolts or you will fight the shaft turning to get the second bolt out on each side. Release the rear springs by lifting up and moving the plastic guide towards the front of the sled and lifting the spring up and over the idler wheel. Take your time and massage the rear suspension out a little at a time. The hardest part is getting it back in the front past the rivets. take your time and align the front and get the bolts in most of the way before starting on the rear.

Pete

I remove shocks on my vector (twin shock) and apex (monoshock) without removing the skids. Not sure how similar the nytro is to the vector. The vector has those wheels in the way but it's all doable after releasing the limiters. Then again, itd not a big deal to remove the skid either. I release the torsion spring tension and track tension and everything frees up.

Back